New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying a first gen MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stouthearted

Stouthearted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i7 2.93ghz quad core, iPhone 4, iPad 16gb wifi

I've been a PC user all my life and I have a chance to buy a Macbook Pro with an Intel dual core 1.83ghz processor. It's the first generation Macbook Pro. Upgrades include 2GB of RAM, 320GB 5400 RPM Hard drive, Snow Leopard OS, and a bundle of older software like Adobe CS3, Photoshop and Final cut Pro and MS Office 08. The guy is asking $650 and says it's in good condition. I really want to try a mac, but have limited funds for a new computer. This feels like a good deal as long as the computer is in good shape. My long winded question is what kind of life will this macbook pro have left in it and will it be up to the task of editing high def (avchd) video and moderate photo editing of RAW photos from my Nikon D300?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Please do not cross post. You just posted this 2 minutes earlier in the "Switcher" forum. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
DRMac

DRMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD

looks ok.

Make sure you get all software CDs for the mac (install and application) plus the Adobe CS3, Photoshop and Final cut Pro and MS Office 08 CDs.

your camera will work on the mac with RAW and final cut pro will use avchd but make sure Final Cut Pro is updated to 6.0.1 or above for the AVCHD transfer capabilities

Edit: if you want a new mac, you can try Apple's financial services cause you can get a new 15-inch: 2.66GHz macbook pro for as low as $64.00 a month( they come with 4GB ram and a 500GB HDD standard)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Let me also stress the bit about getting all the installation DVD's. These will be invaluable should you need to reinstall the OS. You could always buy the Snow Leopard disks yourself, but why bother if the Mac should come with them. Also make sure the previous owner doesn't have a firmware password on it too.

I work on a first generation MBP for work in addition to my own and it seems to have a lot of life left in it. I would just check out the trackpad and keys because they can get gunked up to the point where it's frustrating to use them.

And as always, get the installation disks for all the applications. It's illegal to have the applications installed without them, plus if you need to reinstall for some reason, you will lose all those lovely programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Stouthearted

Thanks for the feedback. it comes with the software, but I have never heard of a firmware password so I'll ask about that. Financing is not an option right now, but if I enjoy my mac experience I may upgraded in a couple of years and with the price of these things I may have to go on a payment plan!
QUOTE Thanks
Stouthearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Please do not cross post. You just posted this 2 minutes earlier in the "Switcher" forum. Thank you.
Sorry 'bout that...poor form I know. Just trying to reach as many people with my question as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouthearted View Post
My long winded question is what kind of life will this macbook pro have left in it and ...
Well, that kind of depends on the use it was subjected to by its previous owner.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Meh – a lot of the first generation MacBook and Pros were a bit buggy. We had 2 and both had numerous replacements, a friend went through 3 logic boards on his MBP.

$650 isn't a steal either IMO.

I'd avoid it, save up a bit more and get a new 13" MB or MBP instead. For around $999 it'll offer more performance (especially with those new graphics chips), much better battery life and nice new features like the glass trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Agreed with the above. The new MBs look really shmiko. If you can save up for one of those I'd recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
Stouthearted

Thanks for the input...I'm now thinking about waiting and going with a new or refurb.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I just Can't Stand Windows | An official switcher. »