New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

home share

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rejo

rejo is on a distinguished road

When I try to enable home share on my wifes mac, I get the message which says that there are more than 5 users already connected. This isnt possible as there is only 2 macs in the house and no one has ever connected to our network before.
How do I find out what/who these 5 users are ?
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Hmm good question... If I recall correctly there used to be a menu item to deauthorize ALL computers (so you could also deauth Macs/PCs you did not have access to). I can't seem to find that anymore, though... Any ideas anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejo View Post
When I try to enable home share on my wifes mac, I get the message which says that there are more than 5 users already connected. This isnt possible as there is only 2 macs in the house and no one has ever connected to our network before.
How do I find out what/who these 5 users are ?
Using wireless? If so, is your signal encrypted using the strongest method possible - WPA2? You may have some unwelcome "guests" riding piggy back on your signal. Take a look in your Finder's sidebar to see if any other networks or unfamiliar names are showing up. And setup your sharing selectively for your home network only.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Kaham

Kaham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Using wireless? If so, is your signal encrypted using the strongest method possible - WPA2? You may have some unwelcome "guests" riding piggy back on your signal.
Isn't that impossible, seeing the fact that you have to enter your iTunes account info in order to enable home sharing on a certain computer?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Is the OP talking about home share with itunes or home share a computer. 5 computers does sound like the itunes limit.

If it is itunes - I believe you have to go to the store - and log into your account - go to account info. I believe once you are in that screen there should be a button to deauthorize all computers.

If it is a filesystem - open a terminal - go to the directory that has too many connections and type
fuser -fu <name of file or directory>
That will tell you who and what process ID are accessing the file/directory
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac on the Horizon | ipod transfer going horribly slow... »