New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

browser?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomyDingo

TomyDingo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD

what browser do you guys use? i've read about how Safari is built for OSX so it runs faster than other browsers, but how much faster does Safari run compared to the others? My mac friends(the ones that got me to switch) use Camino, anyone here use it? What are the pros and cons of the different browsers?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomyDingo
what browser do you guys use? i've read about how Safari is built for OSX so it runs faster than other browsers, but how much faster does Safari run compared to the others? My mac friends(the ones that got me to switch) use Camino, anyone here use it? What are the pros and cons of the different browsers?
I use Safari because it's one of the fastest ones out there, I like the appearance, interface, and features, and it's more or less "integrated" into OS X.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

I use Firefox as I can customize it to my liking. I build my own from source and make them publically available. They're generally faster than the official builds.

I was going to port some of the code to Altivec but the x86 move has me rethinking that idea.
QUOTE Thanks
TomyDingo

TomyDingo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoy
I use Firefox as I can customize it to my liking. I build my own from source and make them publically available. They're generally faster than the official builds.

I was going to port some of the code to Altivec but the x86 move has me rethinking that idea.
i use firefox on my PC now and have a bunch of extensions loaded, so i'm considering using that when i get my powerbook
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

Tell you the truth, the only reason I use safari is the built in spell checker..
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

I use safari... uh... cause I just like it better. Couldn't really tell you why, just do.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I use Camino, but I really wish it had a Spell Checker. Shiira is my second choice currently, which does have a spell checker.

Safari/Shiira and Camino are about even on the speed currently. But based upon results of WebKit compiled from the CVS there are more improvements in Webkits speed on the way.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I use safari, it is fast, but I also like its apearance and features.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

I used firefox on my PC -- but safari seems to work great - it came bundled with OS X ----- keep it simple - I use safari
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Since Safari 1.3 came out with 10.3.9 I have used it for 99% of my browsing on the Mac. If there are any sites that will not work which is RARE for me now in 2.0 Safari, I fire up Camino.

For testing out sites I use Safari, Camino, Firefox, Opera on the Mac end and IE, Netscape, Firefox and Opera on the Windows side.

Safari is overall though my favorite browser. Love the interface.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

In the past, I mainly used Firefox for all nice features it has, but I found myself slowly not using them more and more. So, I thought that it wouldn't hurt to finally go back to Safari again.
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

I use Firefox because it's the only one that lets you browse through your bookmarks toolbar by hovering your cursor instead of clicking the menu names as I use my bookmarks very frequently. I liked Camino but it was still too buggy for me and would crash like every 1-2 days.
QUOTE Thanks
scooter

scooter has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

well, currently installed is Safari, Firefox and Camino. right now i'm favoring Camino over Firefox, which is my PC browser.

Firefox seems to....i don't know, hoggish on my mac Camino has worked well so far.

safari is nice, but not my fav.

From a G4 400MHz to an Intel Mac Mini to iMac Core Duo to a Macbook Pro 2.6GHz.............gotta love Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I used to use Firefox with my PC, I had a load of extension that I thought I couldn't live without, I decided to get it for my Mac too. I never did get round to downloading it, Safari is pretty grea, very fast and i agree with Ex_PC_Puke, keep it simple, the less unnecassery rubbish I have clogging up my Mac the better, less can go wrong
QUOTE Thanks
Ozone42

Ozone42 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB

I use firefox at work (pc) and home on the iMac. There's a treasure trove of extensions available that I find really useful. Example, Bookmark Synchronizer. When I open FF on either PC it connects and downloads my bookmarks. I can add bookmarks the normal way throughout the day and when I close my browser, it goes and updates the bookmarks on my server so that when I get home, I have the same list!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Use 10.3 disc to install classic on 10.2? | Alternatives »