New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

RAM not adding up to 4 Gb??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The_Pro

The_Pro is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985

Hey guys,

jus a quick question: how come in by activity monitor it tells me i have 3.88 gb of RAM, screenshots of other people it always say 4.00!!

why does it say this?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-05-14 at 12.35.57 PM.png (34.3 KB, 34 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That should be the amount being used by your video card at 128MB.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
The_Pro

Mac Specs: 2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985

hmmm, shouldnt the intel HD graphics use 288mb?? thats what is says unter system profiler. oh and if the intel HD graphics is not being used, should the RAM go up to 4gb?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't have a clue which Mac you have.

But no, I am not aware of any video card that uses 288mb.
They would typically be:
1 GB

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

As bobtomay said it is the allocation for your video card (built in ) unless you have a pro
with a discrete video and memory it will not give you 4gb on 4gb's of memory on the spec sheet you will notice the word shared.
QUOTE Thanks
The_Pro

i have the 15" macbook pro, i7 processor, intel HD graphics, nVidia GeForce GT 330M with 512mb. Yeh when i purchased it it said the intel HD graphics has 256mb of SHARED memory, however under system profiler it says 288mb, (see attached screenshot) i found this pretty weird. I did some further research, like you said, the reason to why it dosnt say 4.00Gb is because it of the graphics card, id expect it so however then say 3.72gb and not 3.88gb as that would mean 120mb is shared with the video card. i dont get it
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-05-14 at 8.14.03 PM.png (19.7 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

The amount of available RAM to your system will vary based on the current need of the video graphics at a given point in time.

QUOTE Thanks
Kludge

Kludge is on a distinguished road

I know Apple now uses base 10 instead of base 2 for hard drives so I wonder if they use it for memory too. So 128MB (base 2) equals 134MB (base 10). I don't know this just throwing it out there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Good one, hadn't even thought of that and it could be coming into play here. Have not really delved into how much of the other functions (like this) have changed over or if SL is using some mix of base 2 and base 10 for different reports.

Just did a check and the online calculator I used does show 256 to be 288 in base 10. So that answers that one.
As far as the RAM, still think that will vary depending on how much of the 256 is being used by the graphics at any time.

QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Pretty sure the intel chipset uses 144MB of RAM and it will dynamically expand as needed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving, and resaving documents (Powerpoint, Word, Excel) | New to Mac Book Pro...Help Needed »