New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to close OS X programs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

valtrof

valtrof is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I've been using Windows OS for 15 years and just bought a new MacBook. I have lot's of questions about it's OS X system. Can you please answer if you can?

1. How do you close an application? Sometimes clicking on red button just minimizes it.

2. Sometimes when I open a new program, it opens behind my active Window. How do I make all newly opened programs to open in front of an active window?

Thanks
New Mac switcher
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums and to save you some hassle ~ we have gals here as well.

In the Menu Bar go to the Progam Name, slide down to Quit and click! For the other question, it is up to the Application, check this explanation out:-

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-68300.html
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

You can also quit programs by typing Command + Q.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Clicking the red "Close" button does just that... it only closes the window, it does NOT quit the application. You actually have to choose "Quit" from the application menu or press Command+Q (that is, the Command and Q keys at the same time) if you want to quit the application. Just one of the little differences between Windows and OS X. Even if you can't see any open windows, an application is still open and running if you don't actually quit it.

If you're unsure which applications are open, check out your dock. Open applications will have a little white dot under their icons. Or you can press Command+Tab to bring up the application switcher. Tap the Tab key while still holding down the Command key to cycle through the open applications. Swiping four fingers across your Macbook's track pad will also bring up the application switcher if you've activated four finger swipes in System Preferences>Track Pad.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Have a look at this - it may help a bit;
SCO0231 - Mac OSX Primer for New Mac Users | Switchers, OSX | ScreenCastsOnline
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Clicking the red "Close" button does just that... it only closes the window, it does NOT quit the application.
With a few exceptions. Some programs/accessories that can have only one window open at a time will actually Quit when you click the red button. Among them; Calculator and Dictionary.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
With a few exceptions. Some programs/accessories that can have only one window open at a time will actually Quit when you click the red button. Among them; Calculator and Dictionary.
and System Prefs! But yea, like any *nix system... gotta tell that app to quit. Command Q.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And OP if you are new to Macs, this 'Command' key referred to has the little Apple logo on it and no name.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

Or some just have this ⌘
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I thought they stopped using the little apple logo on the Command key. My keyboard doesn't have it, and neither has any of the newer Macs I've seen recently.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Some overseas keyboards have very little other than symbols. Which is OK if u know what this means ⌥ but a bit confusing for the uninitiated.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yep. It's another language.

⌘ = command
⌃ = control
⌥ = option
⇧ = shift
⇪ = caps lock
⇥ = Tab Key
⎋ = Escape Key
⏏ = Eject Key
⌫ = delete (the one above the return key)
⌦ = forward delete (the one in the page up/down/home/end cluster)
⌧ = clear
⏎ = return
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac on the way | Unable to rename files on external HD »