New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

installing win 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kybosh

kybosh is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a detailed description of installing windows 7 on imac. Does it matter if it's an OEM version. I just get black screen. The Imac is brand new i5. cheers
QUOTE Thanks
My_MAC_MBP

My_MAC_MBP is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard

Hello,

If you use the Bootcamp Utility to install Windoze, print out the detailed instructions how to install. Follow instructions to the letter. You will need a full copy, not upgrade version of Windoze. You could also use the developer version of Windoze.
QUOTE Thanks
benparko

benparko will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybosh View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a detailed description of installing windows 7 on imac. Does it matter if it's an OEM version. I just get black screen. The Imac is brand new i5. cheers
The first link from Google when I searched "installing windows 7 on mac" found me a tutorial:

Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough – Simple Help

Try to search Google and other threads on this forum to answer your questions rather then posting on here.

You also have the option to install Windows as a Virtual Machine, so you don't have to power off your Mac to boot into Windows. Have a look at VMWare Fusion or Parallels. GOOGLE IT

All the best,

-Ben

Tigers love pepper... they hate cinnamon
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

You can use an OEM version of windows 7 but it has to be a full version. For example you can buy OEM software from Directron for less money because it doesn't come with a retail box - just the disk.
http://www.directron.com/win7oem.html
You cannot use a dell, hp, lenovo, etc OEM windows 7 disk as it is made specifically for a computer from that manufacturer.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Everytime I see an 'install WIndows 7' thread on here I want to cry.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To OP: OEM System Builder versions of Windows (XP, Vista, Win 7) are always full install. Other OEM versions (Dell, Sony, Acer, HP, etc.) may not be.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
pmurray633

pmurray633 is on a distinguished road

haha silly windows, OP, have you decided that you want to use Bootcamp, or would you like to be able to switch back and forth from windows to OSX?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Faces... | File Size »