New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just ordered MBP


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Hello all,

I am new here and looking for some assistance - Tech Advice, cool apple information sites, and or anything else.

I was a PC user for the last 16 years. Well I am tired of all the issues PC (Windows) have created. So yesterday I did it, you know, ordered a MBP with 13.3" - MC374LL/A.

Please post any information that will help me come out the gate strong when my MBP arrives.

Thanks, and I hope I will fit right into, the Apple (MAC) family.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,747
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Don't spill beverages on your laptop...we hear this happening way too often!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

 
Member Since: Jan 27, 2007
Location: *Brisvegas*
Posts: 5,658
the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

the8thark is offline
I second the above. Keep liquids (and people with liquids) well away from your notebook. And you should be fine. And congrats on the purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
The_Pro

 
Member Since: Apr 26, 2010
Posts: 73
The_Pro is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985

The_Pro is offline
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!!

as you where a windows user you may find mac osx complicated at first, BUT it actually **** easy, don't complain bout it being complicated (i here this all the time from windows users) you will get used to it very quickly and then you will LOVE it!!

Congrats man
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

 
Member Since: Jul 18, 2009
Posts: 473
alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

alexsd123 is offline
Don't bother with antivirus programs.
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

 
TheGreatApple's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Texas Baby! ;)
Posts: 242
TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

TheGreatApple is offline
You are going to have one fun time mate! Congrats!

**** That's Good Beer! - The Orignal Beer Bloggin' *******
QUOTE Thanks
FiosFiend

 
FiosFiend's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 18, 2009
Location: D/FW Texas
Posts: 70
FiosFiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

FiosFiend is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pro View Post
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!!
I second this. I went Mac just last year and every single day that I use it, I realize what computing should be. I haven't had a single moment of frustration with my Mac the way I did with virtually every windows machine I've ever used.

There is a learning curve, but once you get used to the Mac you understand why Mac users are so passionate about their computers.

Macbook Pro 15" anti glare 2.8Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Thanks all for your replies. This is great it looks like the Mac family really looks out for one another. I have just a few more days and I will receive my MBP. Believe me, I am sure to be asking a lot of question. Also, I am so excited to see what all you are already experiencing.


Pigoo3, I will be sure not to spill beverages on my new MBP, thanks.

the8thark, for sure I will keep other people with liquids away, thanks

The Pro, I will be sure not to complain about my MBP being complicated. I might need some assistance. Is this OS really that easy to learn?

alexsd123, are you sure I don't need any antivirus programs? I think I should protect my investment.

TheGreatApple, thanks for the link!

FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

 
Member Since: Jan 27, 2007
Location: *Brisvegas*
Posts: 5,658
the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

the8thark is offline
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here.
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know .
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,504
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!
QUOTE Thanks
FiosFiend

 
FiosFiend's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 18, 2009
Location: D/FW Texas
Posts: 70
FiosFiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

FiosFiend is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevision View Post
FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.
Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.

Macbook Pro 15" anti glare 2.8Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here.
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know .
I will keep the MAC, Mac difference in mind when posting - My bad.
QUOTE Thanks
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!
I will be sure to do this! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosFiend View Post
Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.
You sure do make the Mac experience sound so awesome! My MBP can not come soon enough!
QUOTE Thanks
bluevision

 
bluevision's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 11, 2010
Posts: 20
bluevision is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB

bluevision is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here.
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know .
I will be sure to utilize this advice in my future posts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« some dissapointment. | just came home with MBP-bootcamp/ MS question »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ordered My MBP BenBarlow85 Switcher Hangout 5 06-16-2009 03:58 PM
Can I upgrade my 15" A1211 MBP LCD to 1920 x1200 LCD? roubaix Apple Notebooks 2 11-25-2008 07:05 AM
Just ordered my MBP, have a few questions! matrixtna Switcher Hangout 8 07-08-2008 02:49 PM
XP slow performance with MBP and bootcamp jayzee Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 06-10-2008 12:54 PM
Dud bluetooth causing issues in new mbp?? mike518 Apple Notebooks 0 03-23-2007 04:29 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?