New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine Problems???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LoSenior

LoSenior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, HD 500gb@5,400 RPM, 17" AG, NVIDA GF GT 330m/512MB

I'm using a new i7 MBP with 8mb of Ram and a 500 gb HD.
I'm using a WD 1TB external HD to use for time Machine.
I've loaded about 100 gb's of pictures onto the WD HD using TM. I'm using Capture One 5 pro as my Photo program and here's the problem that I'm having; when I load a picture form the external Hd into CO 5 I'm not able to use any of the sliders to modify the pictures. The slider are not functional and it is like I'm trying to work with deleted files.
I use to have these pictures on the WD HD and I was able to use them and send them to the printer or online to a commercial printer, now it seems after using TM to load the photos on the WD HD that I'm just storing the pictures and not able to use them. I thought that TM was a back up program so I would have another copy of workable pictures? I'm probably missing a basic step in the process, maybe I need to start over.
Is there a way that I can start over and not use Time Machine and manually load the pictures onto my WD HD?
Thanks, Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Time Machine is a backup program and as such uses hard links to files that have not changed after the initial backup is completed. You can't run a program from Time Machine as if it were an operating system.

To answer your other question... yes, you can drag and drop photos from your MacIntosh HD to an external drive for storage. You should then be able to modify them as you would those on the internal HD.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
LoSenior

LoSenior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram, HD 500gb@5,400 RPM, 17" AG, NVIDA GF GT 330m/512MB

Thanks for your help, I'm still making the transition to my MBP and liking it more each day.
Thanks for the support and a great forum with members wiling to help and share their knowledge.

Regards, Jerry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sharing of files between 2 OS | Switching Users »