New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switcher NOOB!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dj Kraz

Dj Kraz is on a distinguished road

I just bought my MBP off ebay at a great price! I've been a PC user for many many years. I just need something new in my life...I'm a dj so I needed something reliable. I don't know much about MACs, but I was wondering if there is some stuff I should know like maintenance some insider information I could use to my advantage that my pcs can't do.

I have MBP 3,1 running SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3

I'm not lying when i say imma NOOB...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well if you really want inside information you should be looking at the "missing manual" series of books. And in particular the snow leopard one.

Also these are a few Apple links you should look into:

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
Apple - Support - Boot Camp
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
Apple - Support - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Time Machine
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Macs on the whole use the same intel hardware as windows boxes. The main difference is your Mac can use OS X, windows and linux. All natively (through bootcamp) or virtualised.

And for making music you have 3 applications native to OS X from Apple to do this. And as a DJer making music is pretty important.
Apple - Logic Studio
Apple - Logic Express
Apple - GarageBand - Learn to play music and record on your Mac.

Garageband is the lite version. Comes with your Mac in the ilife package
Logic Express is mid level. More features
And Logic studio or Logic pro is the full professional full featured package.
I would look into the links to see which one is right for you. And see what features you need and what price you're willing to pay.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Dj Kraz

"the8thark", thank you for all the links. I didn't really know where to start. I've been reading a few things here and there in the manual. Having the right tools is very important to me when creating music...

"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.
The iTouch thing always bugs the crap out of me...it's an iPod touch. There's no such thing as an iTouch! Glad someone else agrees.

Anyways, OP, this forum (and the links the8thark provided) is a great place to start. If you ever run into problems or have a question, feel free to ask. And, above all, welcome to Mac (not "MAC"...)!
QUOTE Thanks
Dj Kraz

Thanx MAC!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Kraz View Post
I don't know much about MACs, ...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...
Here's a couple for your memory bank: It's a Mac, short for Macintosh, not an acronym like PC.* Also, there's no such thing as an ITOUCH, or an iTouch, for that matter. It's an iPod Touch. (oops! fixed it)

*I know, I use MAC in my user name. That's because it looks best in that context, and is not part of a dialog about the Mac.

Another oops! blackmac is correct. (below) I obviously skipped over the other posts that say the same thing. My bad.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Ok, I think he gets it. We don't need three people telling him the exact same thing...

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
Dj Kraz

Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Haha, mine wasn't meant so much as a flame, just a heads up. A lot of people do that, and I figured that was probably why you guys did that. Italics would have sufficed to show excitement, but yea, enough with beating a dead horse. :-P

Anyway, looks like you have some computer experience... maybe look into Quicksilver by Blacktree. It really increases productivity. Also looking into how to script in a bash shell would help.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...
Well, your responses to the other members correcting you didn't exactly smooth things over.

Quote:
"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual
Capitalizing "MAC" again in your first sentence here is a little instigating.

Quote:
Thanx MAC!
...and to do it again here is pushing people's buttons intentionally.

Respecting the forums' general spelling/capitalization guidelines, for clarification sake, will avoid a lot of these "back-and-forths".

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Putting these useless arguments aside...

Apple has some great tutorial videos on their website, and I believe they have tutorial courses at some Apple Stores.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Mac = short for Macintosh
MAC = Media Access Control
mac = A general term used for a waterproof rubberised cloth.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
MAC = Media Access Control
...as well as at least 149 other things:
What does MAC stand for?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

True and the whole point is not one of those 149 other things is Macintosh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp vs Virtual PC | How to download older version of Java for mac »