Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switcher NOOB!

Switcher NOOB!
    I just bought my MBP off ebay at a great price! I've been a PC user for many many years. I just need something new in my life...I'm a dj so I needed something reliable. I don't know much about MACs, but I was wondering if there is some stuff I should know like maintenance some insider information I could use to my advantage that my pcs can't do.

I have MBP 3,1 running SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3

I'm not lying when i say imma NOOB...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Well if you really want inside information you should be looking at the "missing manual" series of books. And in particular the snow leopard one.

Also these are a few Apple links you should look into:

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs
    Apple - Support - Boot Camp
    Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
    Apple - Support - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard Time Machine
    Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

Macs on the whole use the same intel hardware as windows boxes. The main difference is your Mac can use OS X, windows and linux. All natively (through bootcamp) or virtualised.

And for making music you have 3 applications native to OS X from Apple to do this. And as a DJer making music is pretty important.
    Apple - Logic Studio
    Apple - Logic Express
    Apple - GarageBand - Learn to play music and record on your Mac.

Garageband is the lite version. Comes with your Mac in the ilife package
    Logic Express is mid level. More features
    And Logic studio or Logic pro is the full professional full featured package.
    I would look into the links to see which one is right for you. And see what features you need and what price you're willing to pay.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.

"the8thark", thank you for all the links. I didn't really know where to start. I've been reading a few things here and there in the manual. Having the right tools is very important to me when creating music...

"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual

Specs:
    alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    Please learn this one thing before all else. It's a Mac. It's short for Macintosh, like the Apple. It's not MAC. That is an acronym for a networking address. PC stands for personal computer. Mac is short for Macintosh. Again. Not an acronym. Apple also doesn't have a product called the iTouch. It's the iPod Touch, though most will get what you mean. You still don't have to completely capitalize the name of every product. Thanks for understanding how annoying it is.
    The iTouch thing always bugs the crap out of me...it's an iPod touch. There's no such thing as an iTouch! Glad someone else agrees.

Anyways, OP, this forum (and the links the8thark provided) is a great place to start. If you ever run into problems or have a question, feel free to ask. And, above all, welcome to Mac (not "MAC"...)!

Thanx MAC!

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj Kraz View Post
    I don't know much about MACs, ...The only other MAC product I've owned before MBP was a ITOUCH...
    Here's a couple for your memory bank: It's a Mac, short for Macintosh, not an acronym like PC.* Also, there's no such thing as an ITOUCH, or an iTouch, for that matter. It's an iPod Touch. (oops! fixed it)

*I know, I use MAC in my user name. That's because it looks best in that context, and is not part of a dialog about the Mac.

Another oops! blackmac is correct. (below) I obviously skipped over the other posts that say the same thing. My bad.

Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Ok, I think he gets it. We don't need three people telling him the exact same thing...

l
    I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Haha, mine wasn't meant so much as a flame, just a heads up. A lot of people do that, and I figured that was probably why you guys did that. Italics would have sufficed to show excitement, but yea, enough with beating a dead horse. :-P

Anyway, looks like you have some computer experience... maybe look into Quicksilver by Blacktree. It really increases productivity. Also looking into how to script in a bash shell would help.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Thanx Blackmac...You guys sure know how to drive people out of this forum...When i said I don't know much about Macs, its the advance info...

WOW

Gettin flamed on...
    Well, your responses to the other members correcting you didn't exactly smooth things over.

"Darkestritual" thanx MAC, geeze i told you guys i was noob, but i'm not stupid. I know what a MAC is I'm a certified CCNA...itouch is short for the ipod touch. If people know what i'm talkin about then coo, if not ask a question and shall receive a answer. I said MAC has i was excited and point more emphases on the product. Maybe i should of put MAC in italics as well... Sorry

THANX for heads up, Darkestritual
    Capitalizing "MAC" again in your first sentence here is a little instigating.

Thanx MAC!
    ...and to do it again here is pushing people's buttons intentionally.

Respecting the forums' general spelling/capitalization guidelines, for clarification sake, will avoid a lot of these "back-and-forths".
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
    Putting these useless arguments aside...

Apple has some great tutorial videos on their website, and I believe they have tutorial courses at some Apple Stores.
    -Dylan

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Mac = short for Macintosh
    MAC = Media Access Control
    mac = A general term used for a waterproof rubberised cloth.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    MAC = Media Access Control
    ...as well as at least 149 other things:
    What does MAC stand for?

Specs:
    True and the whole point is not one of those 149 other things is Macintosh

Thread Information