computer name changed

computer name changed
    My computer would not wake up by clicking the mouse. I restarted with the power button and received a message that my computer name was changed in network sharing ? have I been hacked into or what ? 27" Imac 2.66 Ghz Intel core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Windows 7 in a bootcamp partition. Intego dual virus protection Mac + windows with fire wall on. On a network with my wife's Dell laptop with Windows Vista and MacAfee virus protection. Sharing the printer and internet access only thru Airport extreme. I was downloading Windows Vista service pac 2 to the laptop about this same time.I am a old guy not up to speed on computers. This name change with out any input from us made me suspicious. PS I LOVE MY NEW IMAC.

computer name changed
    Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Does anyone else have access to the network you are on?
    Did anyone have any physical access to your computer?
    What kind of sharing(firewall) option did you have enabled in system prefs?
    What model mac do you have + specs

l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

computer name changed
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmac11 View Post
    D
    What model mac do you have ...
    Depending on that answer... but, I have a Mini, thus a separate monitor. On occasion, I'm too impatient to see if it will wake up (after a much longer-that usual delay) so I turn the monitor off and back on, and all is well.

computer name changed
    Specs:
    iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
    Well, no one can change the computer name on the mac side of things without knowing the administrative password. Have you just tried to change the name back to what it was before and see what happens? It might just have been a weird glitch.

Also, uninstall that anti-virus on the OS X side of things. If you stay away from illegal downloads/scam sites, there is no way you can be affected by a virus/malware. But it is still necessary on the windows side.

So make sure you set/reset a password for your computer and see if it happens again.

l
    Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns

Thread Information