Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    Smile Pls help! I can't download anything
    Hi guys!
    I new to this forum and I hope you don't mind me starting a new thread and hopefully in the right chapter.

    I'm a new convert to Mac. I'm using a MacPro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core2Duo with 4GB Ram running on V10.6.3.
    All this while I've no problems downloading anything I want. But now I can't download anything. It has been several months already. I tried several ways but in vain. Hope some kind soul out there can help me.

    I'm using Download Helper and that is only good for clips but downloading stuff like software is still a problem. Sometimes pressing 'Option' and clicking on the hyperlink works but most of the time it doesn't. Either I get a http file or the left bottom corner of my firefox indicate 'Stopped'.

    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

  2. #2

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,145
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Delete Download Helper and see if that helps. Seriously!

    Do you have the latest version of FF? (3.6.3)

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2009
    Location
    Ithaca NY
    Posts
    2,073
    Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Also you can download some things... you downloaded the website's content fine.

  4. #4

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Get rid of the download manager as toMACsh has suggested. When you do uninstall it though, make sure to use the uninstaller if it comes with one. I have heard of many problems that arise out of users improperly uninstalling download managers.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  5. #5

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    Hi guys!
    Thanks for all your response. I will certainly delete the Download Helper and see if that will solve the problem. Thank you for your input. Appreciate it.

    I will post my results after I do that.

    Cheers! There are kind souls afterall!
    Jeremy
    Cheers!
    TJ

  6. #6

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    Unhappy Still not able to download
    Hmmm,
    I've deleted all those add-ons for downloading but still I can't download files. I was trying to download the freeware Dropbox but in vain. When I tried clicking 'Option' and download, what I get is a .htm file.

    I'm so frustrated. It wasn't like that when I first got my Mac.

    Any advice?
    Cheers!
    TJ

  7. #7

    MinaMACMan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2007
    Location
    Redwood City, CA / Stanford, CA
    Posts
    1,792
    Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    so what happens if you click on the hyperlink for the download. Just a mouse click, not option then download?

    It should automagically start downloading and you should see the Safari/FireFox download window open up and display the download!

  8. #8

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,470
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by jereme7 View Post
    Hmmm,
    I've deleted all those add-ons for downloading but still I can't download files. I was trying to download the freeware Dropbox but in vain. When I tried clicking 'Option' and download, what I get is a .htm file.

    I'm so frustrated. It wasn't like that when I first got my Mac.

    Any advice?
    If you've tried the suggestions given and you still can't download, check with your ISP to see if there are any restrictions on your account.

    Regards.

  9. #9

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    Unhappy Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
    so what happens if you click on the hyperlink for the download. Just a mouse click, not option then download?

    It should automagically start downloading and you should see the Safari/FireFox download window open up and display the download!
    Should I just click on the hyperlink, it will appears that I'm downloading except that the page will not load. Either it says 'Transferring' or 'Done' but blank page.
    Cheers!
    TJ

  10. #10

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    checked
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    If you've tried the suggestions given and you still can't download, check with your ISP to see if there are any restrictions on your account.

    Regards.
    I did check with my ISP regarding my broadband and it was ok.

    The sites that I wanted to download (like those freeware) are from legit sites like Tucows, Softonic, Apple) so I don't think it should be an issue.

    Unlike Windows, I can't restore to a earlier date and fix the problem that I may have created without realizing. I've been using Windows like forever and only convert to Mac last year. So far I'm happy with Mac except for these hiccups which I hope you guys out there would be able to assist.

    Thanks.
    Cheers!
    TJ

  11. #11

    malicho's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 04, 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    32
    Specs:
    24in 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo OSX 10.5.8 iMac iPhone 3GS 16GB Apple TV
    have you tried checking in your download folder? check your preferences to see where and what your download destination actually is.

  12. #12

    Aqua's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 05, 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    452
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
    I decided to try a browser named Wyzo. It is based on firefox but the downloads are supposed to be much faster... maybe that's on the PC but the Mac version did the same as Jereme7.. Downloads work fine on ff and safari, so try Safari (this might help you to troubleshoot where the problem is).. If that works OK for you, then you know it is something that is wrong with firefox, if the problem exists for both then there could be other issues.. If it's firefox then maybe a fresh install of ff might help. It sounds more to me that your browser is having a communication error when downloading and maybe some settings within the browser are off?

    I'm no genius but try checking your firewall and network settings. If you have an external firewall or hub - unplug and reset them both, maybe you need to update drivers (google that as I have heard of a few isp that had probs with the mac until drivers were updated), you could also check your prefs.

    Hope this helps
    invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses

  13. #13

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    still need help
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    I decided to try a browser named Wyzo. It is based on firefox but the downloads are supposed to be much faster... maybe that's on the PC but the Mac version did the same as Jereme7.. Downloads work fine on ff and safari, so try Safari (this might help you to troubleshoot where the problem is).. If that works OK for you, then you know it is something that is wrong with firefox, if the problem exists for both then there could be other issues.. If it's firefox then maybe a fresh install of ff might help. It sounds more to me that your browser is having a communication error when downloading and maybe some settings within the browser are off?

    I'm no genius but try checking your firewall and network settings. If you have an external firewall or hub - unplug and reset them both, maybe you need to update drivers (google that as I have heard of a few isp that had probs with the mac until drivers were updated), you could also check your prefs.

    Hope this helps

    Well thank you for your recommendation. I might juz try that browser. The thing is, I can't download anything using Safari too so I don't think it could be the browser. I tried earlier to download some freeware from Macfreeware and all I get are some html files which open and direct me to their sites.

    The thing is I wish there is an Apple Support shop here. I couldn't find one yet but I'm still trying. Perhaps these ppl there could check it out. That is my last resort as I've to pay for that service and I don't know how much they will charge.

    Anyway, I like to thank everyone who responded and gave me their advice/opinions. I really do appreciate it. Perhaps I juz have to locate an Apple shop and try my luck there or I may have to switch to PC? I certainly hope not.

    Thanks again everyone!
    Cheers!
    TJ

  14. #14

    jereme7's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 03, 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.53 4GB V10.6.3
    Unhappy No can do
    Well, tot I juz add a few more points here;
    I tot I try to download Wyzo browser to see if that would solve the problem. No, I forgot .... I can't download any files other than Fonts which I had some success. But that's all. So I can't even try out a new browser.

    I like to re-install my Firefox but I can't download a new one.
    Cheers!
    TJ

  15. #15

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,145
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    OK, how close are you to an Apple Store? You need an appointment at the Genius Bar, because you're not getting anywhere here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
  2. Pls help restore download folder to original
    By DJ_Inferno in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 01:07 PM
  3. pls help ):
    By kurage in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 03:11 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •