New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iBook G4 for 200 - worth?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sban

sban is on a distinguished road

Hello. My colleague is offering his iBook G4 (4-5 years old, 1.42 ghz, 1GB ram, 60 gb HDD) for around 200. I haven't used a Mac before but would like to try one out. Don't have 700 to shell out on a new one. Is this a good deal? Anything i should check/look out for? I'm really looking to have a play on a Mac before I save up and buy one. Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hi. Well that's the upper end of their worth I would say, but they are great little machines for sure.
The biggest issue with iBook G4's is logic board failure, though older models like this one are less prone, and it's a fixable thing usually, as it's specific to one solderable chip.
Be sure that if you buy that you get the OS install discs with the machine, you never know when you'll need them.
I would say offer £180 and go from there.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
sban

Thanks Kevriano. I was thinking of making an offer of 150. But he does not have the installation discs as they are in his other home in the US (I'm in UK). I don't have much idea of mac software so would help if you think this is a major issue not worth compromising over. It seems a good deal given ebay has iBook G4s with slightly inferior specs for at least 250.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hmm. Not having the install discs is no biggy until it comes to needing to reformat a drive, or run diagnostics, when you will need them to get access to all of Disk Utilities features.
Now, it's quite possible that you won't ever need them, but if you don't have them, chances are you will, and buying them is not cheap (depending on the OS version).
Yes, eBay does have lower spec machines for more money, but those rarely sell, they are always on there, because to be honest, it's not too much of a further stretch to buy a Powerbook at those prices (I paid £300)
I think if he's willing to send the install discs over at a later date then you should go for it. £150 may be a little low though, but as he's a friend, mates rates apply

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

It's not a bad deal by any means and it'll give you a taste of OS X - which OS version comes with it?

The biggest issue with the old G4s is that the HDD are so painfully slow (4200rpm).

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
sban

Kevriano, he does say he will try to get the discs later. I was sort of hoping to do a clean re-install.

Zoolook, it's Leopard (machine says mac OSX 10.5.8 (9L31a).

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Well that's good - it'll feel sluggish with 1GB of RAM, but it'll be a great intro. Have fun with it.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
macforums4andy

macforums4andy is on a distinguished road

I bought an American G4 whilst travelling in Australia at the beginning of 2007 and it was already a couple of years old... I bought it from eBay.com.au... I have since moved back to the UK, it has been dropped, slung in a backpack more times than I can remember... and it still runs like new... no glitches, no crashes no freezing... The only thing I do every now and then to maintain online smoothness is empty the cache and clear the files then restart.

It's running 1.5 GHz, 1GB DDR, OS X 10.4.11 and although it's old, it runs Adobe CS2 well, and I've been doing some basic sound editing which works fine... watching a DVD is smooth...

The 80GB Hard Drive is nearly full though but they can be upgraded easily enough...

It's a no brainer, especially if you can get it for 150... Remember, there are no guarantees with old technology but I can certainly testify that G4s can go the distance...
QUOTE Thanks
sban

We've agreed on 175. Very excited and can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will be back soon asking lots of newbie questions.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Very cool. Great price, you will enjoy it immensely. Congratulations on joining the community.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dnla | Noob question about DVD playback. »