New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Modem Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MMottster

MMottster is on a distinguished road

I am a moderately new iMAC owner. I currently have my high speed internet cable that connects to the cable companies box, then there is another super sized phone line that connects to my iMAC. I do not want to have to pay "rental" money to the cable company for their modem.

What should I purchase?

Many Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Check you local Best Buy store or CompUSA (if there's one close by) for cable modems. Here's a quick list of cable modems. Be sure to check with your ISP before buying one to make sure you purchase a model that is compatible with the service provided.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

What chscag said plus you may need to contact your ISP and let them know you are switching it out. They may need the mac address off of the device before it will actually work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Great suggestion, DaFlake. Without the MAC address the new modem will fail to register and his ISP will think he's trying to hijack an extra line for free.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

To add to what has already been said, you sometimes can find the exact model modem your ISP has provided for you. Although I would recommend reading up on reviews online because the modem your ISP gives you isn't always the best one.

There is also a difference between a cable modem and a DSL modem from your phone company. I think the phone line you are talking about is an ethernet cable which does look like a traditional phone cable but on steroids.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I agree, pretty sure OP is referring to an ethernet cable. Also Mac is short for macintosh... it's not an acronym, so no need to capitalize it all. Little i big M little ac. iMac.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
I agree, pretty sure OP is referring to an ethernet cable. Also Mac is short for macintosh... it's not an acronym, so no need to capitalize it all. Little i big M little ac. iMac.
We're referring to the Media Access Control Address which is abbreviated with capitals. = MAC

When in doubt refer to the WiKi: LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMottster View Post
I am a moderately new iMAC owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Mac is short for macintosh... it's not an acronym, so no need to capitalize it all. Little i big M little ac. iMac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
We're referring to the Media Access Control Address which is abbreviated with capitals. = MAC
I'm sure DR knew that.
And before anyone complains, my user name was carefully considered for aesthetics, not correctness.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home made screen saver | Off to college! »