Thread: iMac feedback

iMac feedback

iMac feedback
    hi guys,

im new to the thread. Im a hobbyist photographer turned freelancer. I normally use my computer for post processing at home. I am really thinking of switching from my pc to an iMac 21.5 inch. I would like to gather some information and feedback from you all how is the experience doing photoshop/lightroom in a mac. this will be speed, resolution, etc..

I appreciate all your feedbacks.

thank you.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I don't use Lightroom -- I use ACDSee Pro for Mac Beta instead -- but I do use Photoshop. Every day.

Rather than go on and on about it, I'll simply say that Photoshop was invented on, and for, the Macintosh. Macs are in VERY widespread use throughout the photographic, video and printing industries *for a reason,* and that reason isn't "because they're pretty."

The actual experience of JUST using Photoshop or Lightroom is likely to be very similar on either platform until you have to interface with the graphics system and the operating system. This is where the Mac truly shines. I promise you that once you get used to the different layout of the "alt/command/control" keys, you'll be MORE productive and efficient on the Mac.

But to address Speed and Resolution specifically: the chips the iMac uses are as fast as any offered on the consumer market today. The iMac also uses a high-quality IPS, LED-backlit screen which is quite expensive (more than half the entire cost of the computer), again the best quality screen available in a consumer machine.

Yes, the screen is "glossy": but in a home environment, this is a total non-issue. If you feel the need, there's some great calibration software out there to match to your printer; otherwise I find that most of the screens from Apple need very little tweaking to get very accurate results.

iMac feedback

i appreciate your response. thank you.

most likely i will make the switch. im just a bit worried about the core2duo processor (though 3.0ghz) as compared to the new processors now which is i3/i5.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    The iMac line may undergo an update in the near future. If one goes by the schedule Apple has been keeping for updating the iMac (6 to 10 months), on average it has been around 8 months. Since the last update was October 2009, that would mean a "possible" update is forthcoming around June or July of this year.

If you need a machine right now and really desire an i5 or i7 processor, you might consider the iMac 27". More expensive, yes, but certainly a lot more capable than the 21.5" model.

Regards.

iMac feedback

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The iMac line may undergo an update in the near future. If one goes by the schedule Apple has been keeping for updating the iMac (6 to 10 months), on average it has been around 8 months. Since the last update was October 2009, that would mean a "possible" update is forthcoming around June or July of this year.

If you need a machine right now and really desire an i5 or i7 processor, you might consider the iMac 27". More expensive, yes, but certainly a lot more capable than the 21.5" model.

Regards.
    the 27" is really tempting. that would be the specs that i'd be very happy to have. unfortunately the price is way above the budget. do you have any idea what will be the specs of the new models they will lunch this june/july?

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    As with every other computer manufacturer, including Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Toshiba, et al; no one knows until the day they are released.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

iMac feedback

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    I would have a look at pixemator. That is almost as good as photoshop and it only costs $50 last time I checked.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    If you sign up for SmithMicro's newsletter, they have pixelmator on sale for $30 it seems like 3-4 times a year also.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    the 27" is really tempting. that would be the specs that i'd be very happy to have. unfortunately the price is way above the budget. do you have any idea what will be the specs of the new models they will lunch this june/july?
    Note that I said a "possible" update around June/July. Could be later or even earlier.

As far as specs of new models are concerned, only the folks at Apple know for sure. Anything else would be speculation.

Did you take note of bobtomay's post? His suggestion about subscribing to the Smith Micro newsletter is a good one. I subscribe and have been able to purchase brand name software at bargain prices from them. One such title is VMWare Fusion 3.X at about 33% less than retail.

Regards.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Did you take note of bobtomay's post? His suggestion about subscribing to the Smith Micro newsletter is a good one. I subscribe and have been able to purchase brand name software at bargain prices from them. One such title is VMWare Fusion 3.X at about 33% less than retail.

Regards.
    Yep, that's where I got VMWare Fusion also.

iMac feedback

Cool
    hi guys,

i just got my first imac last night. thanks to all suggestions. I look forward in all your assistance in the future.

iMac feedback
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiggymacher View Post
    hi guys,

i just got my first imac last night. thanks to all suggestions. I look forward in all your assistance in the future.
    Which one did you end up getting?
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

iMac feedback

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Which one did you end up getting?
    i got the 21.5" 500gb imac. im still finding my way through it. ive just installed photoshop in it. do you know any link for a photo mechanic download?

Thread Information