Thread: Switching ITunes from PC to Mac
06-10-2005, 08:31 PM #1ilgGuestSwitching ITunes from PC to Mac
I have tried many other ways of doing this but none worked well, so here is my way..
I did this using an external hard drive where i now store my music. I also have my music files on manual update, so i take care of all the files names and organization.
To switch your itunes library from pc to mac use the following instructions.
1. copy all your music to the mac/external hard drive exactly as it is on your pc.
2. copy the itunes folder from my documents/my music (or similar) to the mac/hd.
3. once that is all done, eject and plug the hard drive into your mac.
4. open itunes on your mac. if you dont have anything added to the library it should be blank.
5. open the preferences and go to the advanced tab. change the ITUNES MUSIC FOLDER LOCATION to the folder where all your music is on the hard drive.
6. close itunes.
7. go to the itunes folder on the mac, should be in the music folder. delete the 2 itunes music library files
7. go to the itunes folder on the hard drive (the one copied from the pc)
8. copy the "ITunes Music Library.itl" and bring it over to the itunes folder on your mac and paste it there.
9. open itunes and everthing should be good to go. you do not need the itunes music library.xml as it is recreated when you open itunes.
using this method allows you to keep all the info from the other library, including play counts, last played, ratings, etc.
if you have any problems let me know and i will edit this post so it is correct.
06-11-2005, 06:08 AM #2
- Member Since
- Apr 12, 2005
- Cleveland Ohio
- Dual G5 powermac
i think its correct, but my method was alittle different.
see in windows, for some reason (for me atleast) you can play a directory. So i just had an MP3 folder. When it came time to move to mac, i just clicked and dragged every last song into the itunes window. It sorted them all into a simple iTunes folder i could take anywhere.
so yes your post is correct.new vid 8/8/05
06-12-2005, 11:46 AM #3fco1922Guestdon't switch
leave everything formatted for windows. it isn't worth the hassle switching over to the mac platform. i did and was it a pain!
06-12-2005, 04:21 PM #4ilgGuestOriginally Posted by fco1922
12-16-2005, 02:34 AM #5
- Member Since
- Nov 09, 2005
- Northern VA
- MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I use my Ipod as a hdd switching my files from the pc to mac...and vice versa...its not hard or difficult. my fiancee uses windows for her ipod and im using mac for mine. so i constantly keep both computers upto date with the same files.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By nickats in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 3Last Post: 12-18-2011, 08:16 PM
By remccs in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 1Last Post: 11-28-2011, 02:11 AM
By newby in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 2Last Post: 08-26-2011, 03:29 AM
By Vassi1995 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 1Last Post: 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
By mr_silly in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 17Last Post: 06-04-2005, 07:20 PM