New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Oops. Lost downloads folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cowbrain

cowbrain is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Hello again,

I was moving stuff around on desktop and I accidentally grabbed the downloads folder from the dock and pulled it (somewhere) out of sight.

Now, every time I download an attachment(or anything), I have to go hunting for it - usually with spotlight. Spotlight locates the downloads folder for me - but I'd like it to be permanently back in the dock, as I use it a lot.

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks, CB

Macbook black, 2.4 Core2Duo, 4GB ram, 500 GB hdd@7200rpm - OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You deleted it when you mooooved it, cowbrain.

No big deal. Open your HD/Users/YourUserName folder. The actual Downloads folder is in there. Drag it to the right side of the dock. Now right click (control-click) on it and choose Display As Stack.

Folders in the Dock are called Stacks. They are not the real thing. They are like aliases or shortcuts, depending on your preferred terminology (or whatever is burned into your cowbrain).

If you drag anything off of the Dock, a little image of a puff of smoke appears when you release the mouse, and whatever you had in tow disappears. The same thing will happen to items in the Sidebar of your Finder Windows. The solution is the same: find the real deal, drag it back.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Mac Specs: MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, , MB black 2.4GHz core two duo, 4GB RAM, 500gb hdd (7200 rpm) 10.6.8

Fantastic!

Many thanks toMACsh, that worked a treat.

Much appreciated.

All the best, CB
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

toMACsh is "milking" your alias for all it's worth, cowbrain.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Ha ha! I know. I got no beef with that. He did good.

Name comes from a short film we made.

If you have 8 minutes to spare and you don't mind weird stuff, watch it here:

YouTube - cowbrain

Thanks again to you all for keeping me Mac-happy.

Cheers, CB
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
You deleted it when you mooooved it, cowbrain.

They are like aliases or shortcuts, depending on your preferred terminology (or whatever is burned into your cowbrain).
I am really slipping. I missed both of those references.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I did the best I cud. Cheezzze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbrain View Post
He did good.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to be Bossie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I am really slipping.
Stepped on a cowpie, eh? At least it got past ur eyes, so to speak.
QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

I'd herd it all before?

But, seems I was a bit hasty in my reply.

Yes, it all worked, and yes, thank you very much - I now have my downloads folder back in the dock BUT the downloads aren't going into it. I've no idea where they are going.

They are usually word documents which open in Microsoft Word for Mac. If I put the name of the downloaded file into Spotlight and click it, Word opens it direct. But I've no idea where it gets it from.

So, question is: How can I set the destination for my downloads?

Udderly grateful for help so far. Cheers, CB
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's one method that might help you find the correct folder.
1. Put the name of one of your downloaded files into Spotlight
2. Do not click on the resulting file instead choose "Show All" at the very top of the list.
3. In the window that appears single-click the file and then choose "OPen Enclosing Folder". This should show you where the folder containing the downloads.

If you are using Safari you can set the Downloads folder in the General tab of Safari's preferences.

QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

I'm not even going to try to be clever. But if you want to find where a file found by Spotlight is located, just hold the command key before pressing return or clicking it. Same goes for items in the Dock and several other places as well. That's a tad quicker than Slydude's method, I think, though his Safari tip is spot-on (and something you'll certainly want to check).
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks for that Spotlight tip. My other method is about as subtle as a bull in a china shop.

QUOTE Thanks
cowbrain

Thanks Slydude and nabl.

Very useful information. I think I'm on top of it now.

All help has been much appreciated, I hope I can return the favour someday.

Thanks again, CB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downgraded my MacBook -- Happy | Printer Trouble »