New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

urgent need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i have a friend with a serious problem where she plugged in a external HDD and accidentally clicked save hard drive as time machine. all of her life's work was on there is there any way to get it back... please help

any knowledge will be appreciated.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
benparko

benparko will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1

So to be more clear....

She backed up her mac with TimeMachine and saved it to her external HDD overwritting all of the data originally on the external HDD?

:/

Tigers love pepper... they hate cinnamon
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I did not even know that Time Machine would do that unless it warned it would kill off all the existing data. I have ran Time Machine on a drive with data before and none of it was gone. I will have to check into this and see what I can find.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It would overwrite if the drive was not formatted as HFS when it started the operation and had to format first. If it was already formatted as HFS and ready to be used by Time Machine, it should not have overwritten any of the existing data.

1st - stop using the drive immediately - do not write data to the drive...

Have never had to use any of this software...

The two I would probably check out are:

Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3 - read the info provided there

and

Mac Recovery Software-Recover Mac Drive-Apple Mac Data Recovery-Data Recovery Mac - has a free download which will show you what it can recover prior to purchase.

If her stuff is that important and/or new data has already been written to it on top of being formatted, it could be time to employ the professionals at great expense and no guarantees.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It would overwrite if the drive was not formatted as HFS when it started the operation and had to format first. If it was already formatted as HFS and ready to be used by Time Machine, it should not have overwritten any of the existing data.
Ok Bobtomay, that makes sense. My drives were all formatted HFS so that is why it never asked me.

Good advice on the recovery programs.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

hold on - Time machine will not format the drive unless specifically mentioned to do so. If not, then it will just create a folder in the existing drive and backup all the data there. I would go in finder into the external hard drive to check if she has actually lost all the data. Did time machine format or not is the first question before you worry about recovery option.

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

thanks for the help ppl..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Protecting My iMac From Power Failures (?) | To book or not to book »