New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie Questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Powerman2442

Powerman2442 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm sure it will be full of plenty of newbie questions. Please bear with me while I explain my situation. I'm in the market for a new "computer" (Mac or PC) and I've been looking into Macs more and more. I've been a Windows user for nearly ten years and a "Linux" user for four (I've ran every major distro you can think of). I've completely switched over from Windows to Linux based operateing systems. It only made sense since I am currently running some extremely old hardware and the biggest performance boost I could afford (been out of work for months) was to switch from Windows to Linux.

Anyway, I currently have a job and I've been looking into new computer prices again. Right now I am pretty dead set on a laptop since I am away from home Monday thru Friday. Pretty much I am trying to find a decent reason to spend $1000 - $1200 on a 13 inch Macbook with a Core 2 Duo when I can buy a 17 inch PC (laptop) with a Core i5 for the same price or cheaper. I know I am going to get a bunch of the "fan boy" replies (as some people would say). I just hope there is one of you out there that can provide hard hitting reasons why buying a Mac might be a better choice for me.

Some main questions I'd like answered other then why should I choose a Mac are: Should I get a Macbook or Macbook Pro? Do Macbooks (Regular or Pro) have dedicated video cards? How come Macs don't have video ports (HDMI, VGA, DVI, etc.)?

Thank,

Powerman2442

P.S. I've never touched a Mac in my life. I saw some on display breifly at Best Buy's mini Apple Store. I actually plan on going up there and test driving some of them to see what I like.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Check these out and come back with some more specific questions. They do have "video ports" and the links should explain the graphical differences. The 13" vs. 17" question only you can answer after doing some more research:

Apple - Get a Mac

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quite simply, the biggest reason to get a Mac is the superior OS. If you've been using Linux systems, then you understand this. Stability, no viruses, no need to ever shut your notebook off.
This should help you decide which Mac notebook is best for your needs. LINK
If you do choose a MacBook or MacBook Pro, consider purchasing from the refurbished store. These are like new and tested thoroughly before they go up for sale.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerman2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Check these out and come back with some more specific questions. They do have "video ports" and the links should explain the graphical differences. The 13" vs. 17" question only you can answer after doing some more research:

Apple - Get a Mac

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook are you? - Comparison Chart
My reference to the 13 inch or 17 inch was refering to the fact that I could buy a Macbook Pro 13 inch with a Core 2 Duo for roughly $1,100 - $1,200 or a 17 inch PC with a Core i5 for the same price or cheaper depending on the brand. So I am trying to figure out why a smaller screened laptop with a 4+ year old Core 2 Duo costs so much.

As for everything else I've already watched most of Apple's tutorial videos, read the FAQ, compared the different models and what not. I think I'm going to Best Buy this weekend to try some hands on to see what I like.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerman2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Quite simply, the biggest reason to get a Mac is the superior OS. If you've been using Linux systems, then you understand this. Stability, no viruses, no need to ever shut your notebook off.
This should help you decide which Mac notebook is best for your needs. LINK
If you do choose a MacBook or MacBook Pro, consider purchasing from the refurbished store. These are like new and tested thoroughly before they go up for sale.

Remember, you get what you pay for.
Thanks, I will check out the refurb store when I get off of work. Liked I said to the other post I plan on doing some hands on at Best Buy this weekend. Maybe it will help me decide.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Go spend a few hours looking at one. It will probably become clearer for you. You do get what you pay for in my opinion. I work on both every single day all day. Unless something changes I will always buy a Mac with my hard earned cash. Good luck. Come back if you have more questions!
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

i was also bemused when deciding to buy my first mac as to why it is so expensive , there is no real way to sugar coat it, you DO pay extra coin for the fan boy tax.
i don't believe the substantial extra costs are really justified, but you do get a good looking computer that wont go mental every time you do a system upgrade or install software.
QUOTE Thanks
foxj66

foxj66 is on a distinguished road

Well the macs will probably be more expensive and you must consider that, but to me the OS and build quality are worth any difference in price. And if you haven't considered a plain old Mac Book Micro center is or was running a sell for an instant 200 dollar rebate bringing the cost to 800 dollars.

2.26 GHz White Unibody,160GB Intel X-25m, 8GB Ram, Mac mini 2.26GHz, 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive, 4GB Ram
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Nex time, please identify the subject of your concern or question in the title. Previewing this thread does not help identification due to your lengthy introduction. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You did not mention what kind of software you want to use or what sort or work you are planning on what to do on the new computers?

Those choices can affect what type of computer you should get. Macs are good at somethings and rubbish at others, the same with PCs.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerman2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxj66 View Post
Well the macs will probably be more expensive and you must consider that, but to me the OS and build quality are worth any difference in price. And if you haven't considered a plain old Mac Book Micro center is or was running a sell for an instant 200 dollar rebate bringing the cost to 800 dollars.
Yes, in my original post I stated that I was debating on a Macbook or Macbook Pro. The only laptop I've ever had was 15.4 inches and every desktop and/or TV screen I've owned was 17 inches+. I'm not to sure if I'll enjoy the 13.3 inch screen on a regular Macbook. I'll have to find out where the nearest Micro Center is, or order online if I decide to get a regular Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerman2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhutch View Post
You did not mention what kind of software you want to use or what sort or work you are planning on what to do on the new computers?

Those choices can affect what type of computer you should get. Macs are good at somethings and rubbish at others, the same with PCs.
The main reason I want a new computer, specifically a laptop, is because I am away from home all week. I really don't want to tote around a desktop computer. I've been browsing online at places like TigerDirect and NewEgg to check out prices of different laptops and I started thinking about Macs. There is really nothing specific I'd like to use it for other then basic tasks that any web browser can do. YouTube, e-mail, IRC, etc..
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

If you are doing such simple tasks, want to save a few bucks and don't mind Windows, you should stick with a Windows box.

As mentioned, the OS is the main attraction. It's so hassle free and less prone to disastrous crashes and conflicts. No anti-virus software to worry about, and my MBP hasn't slowed down a bit in the 2 years I've had it. The build and the features are a plus. You do pay a premium because Apple makes high quality stuff and they're a niche company. I hear a lot of computer companies put used or sub-par pieces in their machines. When problems arise, there's only one company to deal with that makes the hardware, applications and OS, and when you call AppleCare it's generally a person here in the US who speaks fluent English.

There are tons of reasons why I will never buy another Windows machine again, and stick to Macs. You kind of have to decide for yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerman2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
If you are doing such simple tasks, want to save a few bucks and don't mind Windows, you should stick with a Windows box.

As mentioned, the OS is the main attraction. It's so hassle free and less prone to disastrous crashes and conflicts. No anti-virus software to worry about, and my MBP hasn't slowed down a bit in the 2 years I've had it. The build and the features are a plus. You do pay a premium because Apple makes high quality stuff and they're a niche company. I hear a lot of computer companies put used or sub-par pieces in their machines. When problems arise, there's only one company to deal with that makes the hardware, applications and OS, and when you call AppleCare it's generally a person here in the US who speaks fluent English.

There are tons of reasons why I will never buy another Windows machine again, and stick to Macs. You kind of have to decide for yourself.
Thanks to all for the help. After running to Best Buy today I am pretty dead set on a 13.3 inch Macbook Pro. Unfortunately I didn't walk out with one, but I plan on ordering one in a few weeks. The sad part about it is that I was so amazed with the mag-safe power connector and quality of the construction on the Macs they had on display that I spent very little time playing around with the OS (maybe 10 - 15 minutes max).
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Very rarely have I encountered something you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac. The key is learning. The Mac OS is very different from Windows.
I don't want to say forget what you learned about Windows; but my problem was exactly that. Having 10+ years of IT and MIS experience it wasn't easy.
Using OSX opens up a huge library of open source software. One that I'm using constantly to convert Microsoft WMV files is MPEGStreamclip and ffmpegX to convert wma audio.
Don't let the Windows kids fool you - there is plenty of software for the Mac including software designed for business. Something like 20% of Apple's computer sales were to businesses.
I am entering the accounting profession and am still a student - but so far I have encountered four accounting firms that use Macs exclusively. They weren't little mom and pop tax services either; one was a regional office for a Big three firm, which I found interesting - I can't say which of course. Allegedly there was a major security breach via a Windows exploit and this firm is now experimenting with that particular office to see if switching to Apple is feasible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP, Add a Mouse only? | Com hangs »