New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

1st post from Mac Virgin

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gmblnmstr

gmblnmstr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Virgin

Well lets start by saying that I am planning on buying a Macbook Pro. But here is the thing. I am an American in China...and the 2010's are not here yet. So waiting aside. I do not speak or read Chinese and I am wondering if a Macbook purchased here...will only be in Chinese?

This is my first post and I have been trying to find a place to ask...because the China Apple page...well you guessed it...is all in Chinese...and the retailers do not seem to understand what I am asking. They can not even give me a date on when to expect other then in a month or so...

Any help or guidance will be appreciated. For all I know...which is nothing...is that I choose language on initial startup...Help please
QUOTE Thanks
russalan

russalan is on a distinguished road

Sounds like quite the dilemma....I cant help you with an estimate of when the 2010 intel processor MBP will be available in China but I can help you with the language question. When you initially start up the computer for the first time, there is an option to select your locale and the language you would like to use..if i remember correctly. I just purchased a late 2009 MBP a few months ago. Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

What I would do is try to contact the US Apple store (email maybe) and tell them you a US expat in China and you need a English Mac. And they might know who you can talk to about getting one. I'm sure you would not be the only one in China like that.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

2nd thread post: please identify the subject of your concern or question in the title. Previewing this thread does not help identification due to your lengthy introduction. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

How about getting a friend in the US to make the purchase and UPS the machine to you?

Just curious as to what you do in China. I'm hoping to do some traveling as a a corporate auditor. If I can pass the CFA exam.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Calling or emailing Apple, or getting a friend to send you one is your best bet.
The reason being that if you were to get one there, even if you set it up in English, I can only assume that you will be stuck with a Chinese Keyboard, which I don't think is going to be very useful, or helpful to you!
You'd have to get an English keyboard cover.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

you can go to the Apple USA site and order there with a US billing address and China shipping address. One of coworkers got a US keyboard in France so I know it is possible.

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

gmblnmstr:

If at all possible, buy your new MBP from a vendor in the US and have it shipped to you. If you purchase it in China, you'll have the problem of trying to obtain or special order a US keyboard for it. The language can be changed as you've been advised (during the initial set up) but the keyboard can not.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
gmblnmstr

gmblnmstr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Virgin

Thanks for the help.

I managed to find a person with the shipping connection...so my new Macbook pro should be here by Monday. I will see, but what I have found is that some people have a connection...and you need to find those people. Otherwise I am told that a computer shipped from the US may carry a nice duty tax with it Everything Apple from computers to ipods are more expensive here (retail+added). The guy did have one of the new 15 in MBP's but more machine then I need and a heavy premium attached. But I was able to play with it and it had an English keyboard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help,Import photos on HD from CF Reader? | OCR'ing a screenshot - can I? »