New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Force Quit wont quit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

expatgirl

expatgirl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: The New Macbook

Hi. I recently reinstalled the OS (not that I planned this) and was having a lot of computer freezes and had to use the power off button.

Things are better now.. and also reading the Missing Manuel helps to understand MAC too.

however I still have programs freeze on me. Right now IPhoto (which opened automatically when the card reader when in) won't close. I tried Command Option escape and i get the menu but nothing happens. Then I went to activity monitor and tried to quit the process in red and that would not work.

So what to do? I have run the disk utility a few times to make sure my HD is fine..etc. (things I learned here, thank you). (of course now I use Time Machine too.. learned the hard way).

Also sometimes when a program freezes then it makes it impossible to shut down the normal way.

Thanks for any suggestions about what to do when FORCE QUIT won't work as I seem to have this often.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 9.png (44.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png Picture 10.png (67.0 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Is there an open window somehow hidden behind your application where the importer is asking you for some information, or delivering a message? I've found that sometimes these message windows get hidden if you are typing along or clicking along and don't give them enough time to appear. Then they appear to be non-responsive because they are sitting there waiting on you. You can use Exposé to see if there is something hidden. (F3 will bring up Exposé.)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Are you able to Restart when an application freezes? Force Quit has never failed to work for me. Restart would be the next thing I'd try.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

You could try the steps laid out here Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting

I sounds to me that you have some corrupt program or programming and maybe a full reinstall, wipe and install might help out too..

Good luck to you

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
expatgirl

expatgirl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: The New Macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
You could try the steps laid out here Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting

I sounds to me that you have some corrupt program or programming and maybe a full reinstall, wipe and install might help out too..

Good luck to you
Hi thanks for all the suggestions. I have already did a full reinstall. and checked everything and the disk utility says it is fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Always on top? | External Hard Drive/Start Up »