New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A really random question.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ollie288

Ollie288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone

As some of you may know I have just come from a windows laptop and purchase a 27" iMac. I have a project that needs completing for college and it involves me managing an engineering project. To do this I need to create a log book/diary of all events over the project period.
Is there any specific program you mac experts would use for this, or is the best way a blank pages doc and go from there?
I have iWork 09.
Sorry for random question but if there is a program that I can just add data to instead of creating a whole new doc, I would rather be lazy!
Thanks
Ollie
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

Hmm seems no one knows of any programme. I take it blank document is the only option...
Better get started then!
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Well, I'd wait just a bit longer than 25 minutes to see if someone has a solution. It is Sunday morning, after all...
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
Well, I'd wait just a bit longer than 25 minutes to see if someone has a solution. It is Sunday morning, after all...
Sorry mate its just i'm really pushed for time. If someone has a solution I would still gladly hear.

Sorry keep forgetting about the time difference too!

Ollie
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't know what the specific requirements of your class is, but as an engineering manager w/30+ years experience, I can tell you the purpose of an engineering log book is to ensure that relevant observations and data are captured as they occur, not as are they too often are filled in after the fact to meet a documentation requirement.
To that end I require my engineers to keep an actual physical (yes real paper) log. Regardless, I doubt that it matters what you use just as long as you document.
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I don't know what the specific requirements of your class is, but as an engineering manager w/30+ years experience, I can tell you the purpose of an engineering log book is to ensure that relevant observations and data are captured as they occur, not as are they too often are filled in after the fact to meet a documentation requirement.
To that end I require my engineers to keep an actual physical (yes real paper) log. Regardless, I doubt that it matters what you use just as long as you document.
I agree that is the point of a log book, the difficult thing is that for my college work I am trying to do the job of my actual project manager. I obviously cant get observations and data from meetings with clients etc because I am not there. So I am having to bodge a log book together after the events.
I totally agree with what you are saying though,
Ollie
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What would constitute a question that is not "really random"?

As a topic title "Log Book or Diary Program?" would be less random, more helpful, and conform to forum "rules" (suggestions?).

I've not heard of such a program. Did you try searching the internet? I would use my suggested topic title rather than the one you chose to use. You might get better results.
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
What would constitute a question that is not "really random"?

As a topic title "Log Book or Diary Program?" would be less random, more helpful, and conform to forum "rules" (suggestions?).

I've not heard of such a program. Did you try searching the internet? I would use my suggested topic title rather than the one you chose to use. You might get better results.
Sorry boss......
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Perhaps something like Tenderbox would be useful here. Two other possibilities I found via another Google are EverNote, DevonNote.

I suppose you could use Pages and create one very long document if that makes sense.

As for your time constraint, no body cares.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Perhaps something like Tenderbox would be useful here. Two other possibilities I found via another Google are EverNote, DevonNote.

I suppose you could use Pages and create one very long document if that makes sense.

As for your time constraint, no body cares.
Thanks.

Did I say you had too care......
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting a new Macbook Pro! Need some advises!!! | Account User Picture Location - Newbie here »