New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Remote access / network hacked?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
nowsgood2

 
Member Since: Apr 15, 2010
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 1
nowsgood2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro

nowsgood2 is offline
I have a MacBook pro, an iMac, and an iPad on a hame wireless network.

It appears that someone is accessing my machines remotely aas my settings keep changing and there is unfamiliar software installed. When I look at recent activity, I see personal files I have not looked at in ages.

Am I paranoid imagining things, or is this a concern.

Log and activity items I see that I'm unfamiliar with include, vmnet- bridge
Dynamic host, usr/sbin dashboard client Sym secondary launch, , am extractor. Private frAmeworks ui plugin/. Network utility shows connections in and out of my Mac.

As I was completing my tax return the system had an unusual message pop up to press power to restart and now all I get ith the turning wheel.

When I press the apple to log out, it would show two of my login name and two force quit lines.

Nmbd windows file sharing UDP nmbd cupids launch
N
The firewall was changed somehow to allow incoming from a whole list of things

Nowsgood2 :/
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

 
Collin Bl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 07, 2009
Location: Napier NZ
Posts: 3,282
Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Collin Bl is offline
Welcome to the Forum.
Quote:
as my settings keep changing
- from what to what?

Quote:
is unfamiliar software installed
- what is installed and where

Quote:
firewall was changed somehow
- changed from what to what

YOu will need to provide a bit more info to get better answers rather than guesses.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

 
B&O's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 18, 2007
Location: Brit in Tokyo.
Posts: 745
B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

B&O is offline
What network security do you use?

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
darrelwk

 
darrelwk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2010
Posts: 70
darrelwk is on a distinguished road

darrelwk is offline
Sounds like you might have a virus
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelwk View Post
Sounds like you might have a virus
No it doesn't. There isn't a single virus for Mac OS X. Not one. If there was, the media would be all over it. Stop with the lame paranoid delusions. It's like every day now, someone's like, "omg, I have a virus on my mac!!11oneone"

It's ridiculous. You do not have a virus on your Mac. There aren't any! Stop the freaking paranoia/confusing your ignorance about your computers various processes and why things might be behaving the way they are for something actually being wrong.

Sorry, this isn't just to you, but to everybody. I've seen more "OMG MY MAC HAS A VIRUS!" threads this week on various forums than ever before. It's just not true.
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

 
Member Since: Apr 16, 2010
Posts: 14
Ollie288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone

Ollie288 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
No it doesn't. There isn't a single virus for Mac OS X. Not one. If there was, the media would be all over it. Stop with the lame paranoid delusions. It's like every day now, someone's like, "omg, I have a virus on my mac!!11oneone"

It's ridiculous. You do not have a virus on your Mac. There aren't any! Stop the freaking paranoia/confusing your ignorance about your computers various processes and why things might be behaving the way they are for something actually being wrong.

Sorry, this isn't just to you, but to everybody. I've seen more "OMG MY MAC HAS A VIRUS!" threads this week on various forums than ever before. It's just not true.
Just a quick question, why can the mac not get any viruses? Is it because no one writes them because of the amount of windows vs OS X? Or is it because they have better security then windows do?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
It's because a virus is defined as a self replicating program, and on any unix based system to get any sort of malware infection you'd have to put in your admin password to install it. Thus you cannot get malware without you installing it yourself. If you stick to legal programs and reputable freeware, then you're fine.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

 
blackmac11's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Tecumseh, Ontario
Posts: 498
blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

blackmac11 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie288 View Post
Just a quick question, why can the mac not get any viruses? Is it because no one writes them because of the amount of windows vs OS X? Or is it because they have better security then windows do?
It's mostly because OS X security, but it is also partly because very few people try. It you're writing a virus, you want it to infect the largest possible amount of machines, which (for now) is windows PC's.


l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
darrelwk

 
darrelwk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2010
Posts: 70
darrelwk is on a distinguished road

darrelwk is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmac11 View Post
It's mostly because OS X security, but it is also partly because very few people try. It you're writing a virus, you want it to infect the largest possible amount of machines, which (for now) is windows PC's.
I never knew about this... thanks for sharing
QUOTE Thanks
Ollie288

 
Member Since: Apr 16, 2010
Posts: 14
Ollie288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, iPhone

Ollie288 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
It's because a virus is defined as a self replicating program, and on any unix based system to get any sort of malware infection you'd have to put in your admin password to install it. Thus you cannot get malware without you installing it yourself. If you stick to legal programs and reputable freeware, then you're fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmac11 View Post
It's mostly because OS X security, but it is also partly because very few people try. It you're writing a virus, you want it to infect the largest possible amount of machines, which (for now) is windows PC's.
Thanks for answering guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Airport and WiFi security | Anyone have WD world edition »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Network Access vagzaf Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 04-30-2009 09:05 AM
Not getting access to network though network is connected, Please help uday610 Internet, Networking, and Wireless 0 09-27-2008 08:22 PM
parallels and network access papsmc Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 0 05-15-2007 07:54 AM
Remote Access from a Mobile Phone Say_Cheese Internet, Networking, and Wireless 1 07-03-2006 11:48 AM
Apple updates Remote Desktop schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 04-02-2003 10:38 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?