Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.4 8600 256
    iMac G5 and Intel differences
    Hello,

I am currently in the market for a used iMac or possibly a full tower G5 Power Mac. I have a question or 2 that i cannot seem to find answers to.

The newer iMac's have the Intel chips.. While the older G5's have the PowerPC chip. Do you have to buy software based upon the CPU that is installed? Or does all modern software run on either platform?

I have been in computer's since about 1980 when every platform had it's own software platform ie; Commodore, Tandy, Apple, everyone was doing their own thing and nothing was interchangeable... This is why this question is stuck in my head, my apologies if it seems rather dumb to long time Mac users

My plan's is to spend $500-$800 or so on a used Mac and see how i like it. I currently have 3 PC's all running Linux at the house, and have been wanting to try a Mac for the last few years. Hopefully after letting the wife use the Mac for awhile i can talk her into getting us all new ones

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    As much as the older Mac's still do a very good job technology and applications have moved forward and the fact that Snow Lepard will only run on Intel machines I would
    look into an iMac not to far from your budget and will offer you years of program compatibility not to mention you can run Linux or Windows in Bootcamp. It would be easier to impress your wife with the speed and ease of SL just a thought.

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.4 8600 256
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    As much as the older Mac's still do a very good job technology and applications have moved forward and the fact that Snow Lepard will only run on Intel machines I would
    look into an iMac not to far from your budget and will offer you years of program compatibility not to mention you can run Linux or Windows in Bootcamp. It would be easier to impress your wife with the speed and ease of SL just a thought.
    I was not aware the SL would not run on the older platforms. This is the exact information i was wondering about. Tyvm sir for your time.

Thread Information