New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

New and Would like some Help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Renodude18

Renodude18 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: No mac Just yet!

Hello I am new to this forum and sort of to the mac world. I have been using PC's mostly for 15 years, i've used macs in the past. But I have decided to start switching over to mac because i do not like where Windows and PC's are going.

So as for switching my biggest question is about PowerPC's, Can you still use them for maybe some games like Jewel Quest, Sims and others. I do know about the universal thing and snow leopard not supporting Power PC computers and that For leopard you need at least a 1GHZ G4 with a decent graphics card.

Because of my budget and not being able to fully switch to a new mac just yet i am thinking about purchasing a G5 Imac 20" Screen with an Isight on eBay for a pretty good price. With the G5 will i be able to accomplish daily tasks such as email, youtube, and moderate video editing etc...

Thank you so much for help, hopefully someone will reply back to this within a day or two before the G5 ends!
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

The problem you're going top run into with the PowerPC is that fewer and fewer applications will be written for it.
I have a used iMac off eBay as well. Originally I wanted a 20" but went with a 17" C2D from 2006. I upgraded the hard drive and eventually I'll upgrade the RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.9.5.

I've got an iBook G4 with a PPC chip, and I'm noticing more and more that newer versions of applications I like to use don't work on my iBook because they're Intel only (or if they do work on PPC Macs, they don't work with Tiger).

As for gaming, I'm not much of a gamer (except for the occasional online game of Alchemy), so I can't really comment on this. However, I do email and use You tube very frequently, and those have been fine for the most part (although I do notice that there's sometimes a lag with videos that are near the 10 minute mark, but that may just be a flash issue/ me being impatient).

I would suggest getting an early Intel iMac instead if you can find one, or at the very least, a late revision PPC iMac with Leopard.

I hope this helps.

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks
Renodude18

Thank you, I figured that it would be intel over PowerPC because of intel having better power and being newer. I also noticed that the imac in question had a reserve price on it so i decided not to get it and to keep looking, i now know i should look for an intel mac. any other suggestions for a first mac.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renodude18 View Post
Thank you, I figured that it would be intel over PowerPC because of intel having better power and being newer. I also noticed that the imac in question had a reserve price on it so i decided not to get it and to keep looking, i now know i should look for an intel mac. any other suggestions for a first mac.
It might help if you give us an idea of your budget.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Definitely get an Intel machine.

If you want your machine to last you a while, you are going to need an intel machine.

You can probably get a good deal off craigslist or ebay on a pretty nice Intel Mac.

In my opinion, most PPC Macs are overpriced anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Renodude18

I have to say that this forum has the fastest response time out of every other forum.

My budget would have to be $200, but i am needing to get two systems. One i would like to have a decent graphics chipset that can play sims 2, 3, civ 4, cnc3 and everyday games. I am currently selling my PC so i can get a mac. It will be sold within two days. For most gaming i will be switching over to a 360, but at least some graphics power would be nice. I am mainly looking for a system with tiger or better cause since snow leo is soo cheap i can just buy it! unlike Microsoft!

And yes most the power PC systems on eBay are way too expensive, for a powermac g5 its almost 1000, and for an imac g5 its almost 500 buy it now!

Thank you for all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Quote:
I have to say that this forum has the fastest response time out of every other forum.

My budget would have to be $200, but i am needing to get two systems. One i would like to have a decent graphics chipset that can play sims 2, 3, civ 4, cnc3 and everyday games. I am currently selling my PC so i can get a mac. It will be sold within two days. For most gaming i will be switching over to a 360, but at least some graphics power would be nice. I am mainly looking for a system with tiger or better cause since snow leo is soo cheap i can just buy it! unlike Microsoft!

And yes most the power PC systems on eBay are way too expensive, for a powermac g5 its almost 1000, and for an imac g5 its almost 500 buy it now!

$200?
Yikes. You cant get much of anything with that. Maybe a Mac mini and an old LCD screen.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
In my opinion, most PPC Macs are overpriced anyway.
I agree. People expect the world for their old PPC machines. I still can't seem to get one for a decent price. They always seem to skyrocket into the $300-$500 range. Way to high for that they are worth. At those prices I'm better off getting an ipad. Well putting aside the cash for late May
QUOTE Thanks
87vert

87vert is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5 - Dual 2.0 - 6GB Ram

if you look hard enough you should be able to find a decent mac mini with an intel solo (not core 2) for around $250 on ebay.

21.5" iMac 3.06 | 8GB Ram | 500 GB Hdd
11" MacBook Air
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:

OK, you're going to have to be more realistic about your budget if you want to run anything remotely modern on that system. As was said, if you get extremely lucky you might find an old Intel Mac Mini (and I believe they were Core Solo, if I'm not mistaken) for about $300. And of course, they have the crummy Intel integrated graphics.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
SweetCosmicPope

SweetCosmicPope has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5

Yeah, there's a reason we're always getting hit with that "apple tax" nonsense. Macs aren't cheap.

I would personally suggest saving a little bit before you jump ship. You can get a decent refurb or used in the $600 to $1000 range if you look for it.

If you MUST get a computer, now, and you decide to go powerPC, then you might see if there is a goodwill computer center near you. We have one here in Houston, and they occasionally get G4 and G5 PowerMacs in the $200 to $300 range for a complete setup.

"That's Peter Graves scat! I'd know it anywhere!"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying my first Mac, which MBP? | MacBook Pro hard drive upgrade »