New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Youtube is telling me to upgrade...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad

Hi all. When I go to Youtube, and try to play a video, it tells me to upgrade. I click the upgrade, and it brings me to the adobe flash player website. I never had problems before playing videos on Youtube. Anyone else seeing this? I have click to flash installed. Could this be causing any problems? I don't have any problems viewing flash on other sites. Should I download flash player? I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Visit Adobe - Flash Player

You will see a box saying "You have version...." and then look at the chart at the bottom that shows the latest version of all the OS' that Flash is supported on. 10.0.45.2 is the latest version..so if you aren't near that version..(I'm at 10.0.42.34 and have not gotten that message from Youtube)..then you might want to upgrade indeed.

Now it is possible that with Click to Flash installed, Youtube might be trying to detect something and if you don't click fast enough, the detection might fail and Youtube might think that you have an outdated version of Flash..so try disabling Click to Flash for a moment and see what happens..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
s&g'sdad

Thanks raz0r. It will have to wait till morning as I am at work for the rest of the night. I will try disabling Click To Flash first. Maybe I will even remove it. I'm not 100% sure it is benefitting me.
Thanks again,
Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Depending on which browser you are using, I find extensions that target Ads work better than turning off all Flash..

On FireFox, there's AdBlock..and on Chrome there's AdThwart that I use..they work great at keeping my browser window uncluttered with Ads, but allow the flash content to work where I expect it to..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

or use the html5 beta website for youtube and sign up for it and watch all movies in html5 version.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I believe you will find your answer here:

Click2Flash updated

Hope this helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The problem is with ClickToFlash, not Flash. Upgrade your ClickToFlash.
QUOTE Thanks
s&g'sdad

Thanks for all of the advice. I uninstalled Click to Flash and youtube is operating fine now. I'm not sure if I will re-install it or not. Thanks again.

Aaron
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

ClickToFlash is fine now (1.6b8). I still find it INSANELY useful (though I do whitelist some sites so that all Flash plays automatically). For starters, it blocks the one kind of ad I am religious about blocking: musical and/or epilepsy-inducing over-animated Flash ads.

Whoever invented those and the people who make them should be forced to watch Brady Disco Variety Hour specials until they repent.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I got this "Go Upgrade!" thing even though I haven't got ClicktoFlash installed. Why is that?

I often get the "An Error has Occurred" message, and the only way to solve it is to clear my cookies. It happens about once a week?

HELP.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Icon Issue | The Ripple »