New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to: Hidden folders?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
ashtraypro

 
Member Since: Sep 27, 2009
Posts: 17
ashtraypro is on a distinguished road

ashtraypro is offline
Hello community,

How do I make hidden folders that say for instance, only I will know how to get to. The most Ive been able to do is make a folder within a folder within a folder with false names through out. Is there any other way? Thanks for anyone who chimes in.

Ashtraypro

favorite things: Piano, SC300, MacBook Pro, dogs, girls.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

 
blackmac11's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Tecumseh, Ontario
Posts: 498
blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

blackmac11 is offline
There are a couple apps available that will do this, some are free and some are a small amount of money. Just google it, I'm sure you can find one.


l
Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
ashtraypro

 
Member Since: Sep 27, 2009
Posts: 17
ashtraypro is on a distinguished road

ashtraypro is offline
Okay great. I will search around. Any suggestions when trying to decide between various options?

favorite things: Piano, SC300, MacBook Pro, dogs, girls.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

 
blackmac11's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Tecumseh, Ontario
Posts: 498
blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

blackmac11 is offline
Not really, it ultimately depends on your wants/needs for the situation. I'm sure different apps will have a varying amount of security, and the better ones will probably cost a little money.


l
Ill keep it short and sweet Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,352
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
You can make a hidden folder by putting a dot at the beginning of the name. Unfortunately, Finder won't let you do this. There is one way to do it though.

1. Open up Terminal (/Application/Utilities/)
2. Type the following, replacing <dir> with the directory where you want to put the hidden folder: cd <dir>
3. Type the following, replace <name> with the name of the folder you want to hide: mkdir .<name>. It is essential that there is a dot in front of the name (this is what makes it hidden).
4. That folder won't show up in Finder. If you want to get to it, open Finder and push Command-Shift-G. In the box that drops down, type in the directory of the hidden folder. For instance, if the folder was called .me in Documents, I would type ~/Documents/.me (~ is shorthand for your home directory). Note that if someone else does this after you, they will see that you typed in that directory.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ashtraypro

 
Member Since: Sep 27, 2009
Posts: 17
ashtraypro is on a distinguished road

ashtraypro is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You can make a hidden folder by putting a dot at the beginning of the name. Unfortunately, Finder won't let you do this. There is one way to do it though.

1. Open up Terminal (/Application/Utilities/)
2. Type the following, replacing <dir> with the directory where you want to put the hidden folder: cd <dir>
3. Type the following, replace <name> with the name of the folder you want to hide: mkdir .<name>. It is essential that there is a dot in front of the name (this is what makes it hidden).
4. That folder won't show up in Finder. If you want to get to it, open Finder and push Command-Shift-G. In the box that drops down, type in the directory of the hidden folder. For instance, if the folder was called .me in Documents, I would type ~/Documents/.me (~ is shorthand for your home directory). Note that if someone else does this after you, they will see that you typed in that directory.

K great. Let me work at this. Thank you for the step by step setup.

Edit: I cant get this to work. Ive tried several times and it says "syntax error near unexpected token." My first time it said "command not found"

favorite things: Piano, SC300, MacBook Pro, dogs, girls.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,913
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is online now
Thanks Van. That will come in handy.

To the OP, I did a test folder in my Movies folder inside my users folder. Did exactly what Van said and it worked. Be sure you type it EXACTLY like Van showed. In the Terminal everything is case sensitive also.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,352
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
In the Terminal everything is case sensitive also.
Very good point. I forgot to mention that the first time around and I think this may be causing some grief.

Let me give you an example of the process and hopefully this will clear things up.

Let's say I want to make a hidden folder in my Documents folder called secret. This is how I would do it:
Code:
cd ~/Documents
Press enter.
Code:
mkdir .secret
Press enter. You're secret folder is now made. To get to it, open Finder and push Shift-Command-G. Enter ~/Documents/.secret/.

Hope that helps.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ashtraypro

 
Member Since: Sep 27, 2009
Posts: 17
ashtraypro is on a distinguished road

ashtraypro is offline
Thanks guys. I got it working : )

favorite things: Piano, SC300, MacBook Pro, dogs, girls.
QUOTE Thanks
joec1101

 
Member Since: Oct 21, 2007
Posts: 95
joec1101 is on a distinguished road

joec1101 is offline
You might want to try this as well. It's a much more secure method than just "hiding" folders.

Link -----> How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

 
TechieJustin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 16, 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 298
TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

TechieJustin is offline
Hiding your porn stash?
I suggest TrueCrypt.

It has an advantage over Apple's DiskImage in that it is cross platform, and you can create a dynamic file size volume. So as you add more stuff to the image, it gets bigger or smaller automatically.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,592
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You can make a hidden folder by putting a dot at the beginning of the name. ...
That folder won't show up in Finder. If you want to get to it, open Finder and push Command-Shift-G. In the box that drops down, type in the directory of the hidden folder.
For those who like to use the mouse, that's the Go Menu > Go to folder...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,498
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
While the suggestions above are all worthwhile, generally speaking none of them should be necessary. Mac OS X is already set up as a multi-user-friendly system.

If you want to keep "your stuff" away from anyone else's "stuff," give them their own account (level to be determined by you). They can't see your stuff, you can't see theirs.

Should you need any further protection than that (for example you might leave the computer unattended), set a screensaver that's activated by a hot corner, and requires a password to stop. Drag your mouse to the hot corner every time you leave your desk.

Between using your account strictly for your own use and protecting your privacy with the secure screensaver, I can't see where one would need to go through all this other encryption/hidden folder business, which IME usually ends badly anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

 
Member Since: Apr 09, 2009
Location: Ithaca NY
Posts: 2,073
DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

DarkestRitual is offline
Also, if you want to add a space to a directory name, while in the terminal you have to tell unix that the next space doesn't mean its the end of a command. To do this, simply put a \ before all spaces.

Example:

cd ~/Pictures/Vacation\ Photos/Europe
QUOTE Thanks
ashtraypro

 
Member Since: Sep 27, 2009
Posts: 17
ashtraypro is on a distinguished road

ashtraypro is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
Hiding your porn stash?
I suggest TrueCrypt.

It has an advantage over Apple's DiskImage in that it is cross platform, and you can create a dynamic file size volume. So as you add more stuff to the image, it gets bigger or smaller automatically.
That made me smile lol Not exactly. I like to think of myself as a writer of sorts; plus the photos of the misses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
While the suggestions above are all worthwhile, generally speaking none of them should be necessary. Mac OS X is already set up as a multi-user-friendly system.

If you want to keep "your stuff" away from anyone else's "stuff," give them their own account (level to be determined by you). They can't see your stuff, you can't see theirs.

Should you need any further protection than that (for example you might leave the computer unattended), set a screensaver that's activated by a hot corner, and requires a password to stop. Drag your mouse to the hot corner every time you leave your desk.

Between using your account strictly for your own use and protecting your privacy with the secure screensaver, I can't see where one would need to go through all this other encryption/hidden folder business, which IME usually ends badly anyway.
Thankfully I share this MBP with NO ONE. Thank you however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Also, if you want to add a space to a directory name, while in the terminal you have to tell unix that the next space doesn't mean its the end of a command. To do this, simply put a \ before all spaces.

Example:

cd ~/Pictures/Vacation\ Photos/Europe
Very useful, I must visit Europe. Thanks again.

favorite things: Piano, SC300, MacBook Pro, dogs, girls.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Is Warranty Transferable? | Copying Music From Shared File To Ipod »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Macbook erasing all documents within folders but not folders themselves? qalbi_nuura Apple Notebooks 2 02-17-2010 06:16 AM
OSX sharing folders automatically shonamelissa Internet, Networking, and Wireless 6 10-15-2009 12:08 PM
want to move the contents of a LOT of folders, but not the folders roxxan23 OS X - Operating System 2 05-30-2009 09:30 PM
Hidden or password protected folders? ggreer58 Switcher Hangout 9 03-02-2006 12:36 AM
Hidden Folders Ilnyckyj Switcher Hangout 3 06-22-2005 11:59 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?