New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Installing and UNINSTALLING apps in Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeFu

SeFu is on a distinguished road

Ok i have installed a few apps, though the process wasnt clear at all half the time, and now I need to uninstall a couple...

Being a PC user for years, and using the Uninstall feature, I am lost as to how to remove an application properly from a Mac.

Strange enough, I watched all of the videos on Apples site for getting to know your mac, and they seem to have skipped this topic...

Could someone please help a noob out?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Look in the application's folder (within the Applications Folder). There might be another sub-folder or two that contains an uninstall program. For instance, here is the path to my Office for Mac uninstaller:

~/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office

If you do not find an uninstaller, then either you didn't look in the right place, or there isn't one. Most applications I've used do not have an uninstaller. Those can just be removed by dragging the application's icon to the Trash, because there are no other files installed.

There might be preferences, however. An example of one of mine:

~/Library/Preferences/com.snapfish.upload.plist

~ stands for your Home folder: HD/Users/YourUserName (Obviously, I don't know your user name.)

Hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
There might be preferences, however. An example of one of mine:

~/Library/Preferences/com.snapfish.upload.plist

~ stands for your Home folder: HD/Users/YourUserName (Obviously, I don't know your user name.)

Hope that helps!
Unless you're absolutely set on removing every file created by the application, you can ignore these preference files. If you look in the ~/Library/Preferences folder, you'll see that they aren't very large.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Otherwise, if you want get rid of most the related (but insignificant in size) files to an app you are trashing with no uninstaller, you can use AppCleaner.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Unless you're absolutely set on removing every file created by the application, you can ignore these preference files. If you look in the ~/Library/Preferences folder, you'll see that they aren't very large.
True. I would get rid of them more for the screen space they take up rather than the disk space. It's a personal preference, so to speak.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Otherwise, if you want get rid of most the related (but insignificant in size) files to an app you are trashing with no uninstaller, you can use AppCleaner.
Or you can use AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.. That's my prefered uninstalling application. But AppCleaner for a free app is almost as good .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stuck mouse | My 27" imac just crashed.. »