New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Renaming home account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

casper69

casper69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics

hi all

i bought a second hand Mac and have changed most of the name details but in finder i cant change the home account folder name from the prev owner, ive looked up that i need to go in to account and enable root user is this correct?

if so when i go and open the directory utility i am unable to enable root user as the edit table doesent come up.

any ideas.

thanks

It's on like Donkey Kong

http://www.youtube.com/user/caspervision
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Go to the  menu > System Preferences and the Accounts preferences.

You can change the home details from there

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
casper69

Mac Specs: 17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics

hi louishen

i changed what i can from there in the accounts but in finder under places the home folder still has the old name i go in to info but the name is in light grey and i cant change?

It's on like Donkey Kong

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When purchasing a second hand Mac or any other computer, it's best to completely wipe the hard drive, re-install the OS and start over. That way, you don't need to worry about changing accounts and it also avoids any other problems that may be left over from the previous owner. Of course this assumes the previous owner included the original install media when selling the machine to you.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

This is tricky and as has been said, when buying used, a clean install in best. You should have received the install disks.

I think this is what you are looking for; Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name. Note that this document does not mention 10.6.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
casper69

cheers guys

I guess its time to start the wiping and reinstalling

Cheers

It's on like Donkey Kong

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Also, take note, that when one changes the name of the home folder in finder, that if not done correctly, they will mess up the whole directory.
QUOTE Thanks
casper69

lol that just proves you should check out everything before buying something second hand

It's on like Donkey Kong

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels 4 on Mac to run WinXP | keyboard spill »