New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Parallels 4 on Mac to run WinXP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeFu

SeFu is on a distinguished road

I did the boot Camp to install WinXP on a new partition

Then I installed Parallels 4 and now parallels is REinstalling WinXP on the virtual machine... am I doing something wrong???
Why did I install WinXP to a new partition if I am going to just reinstall it on a virtual machine.

I am a bit lost, could someone tell me where I went wrong?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Well what was your intension? Did you want to run WinXP natively on the Mac or through a VM?

I believe Parallels allows you to convert a boot camp installation to a VM version..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Parallels 4.0 and previous versions allow for using the Boot Camp installation as a VM. There is no need to reinstall XP. Make sure you read and understand what's in the help in order to setup the BC partition as a VM.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SeFu

SeFu is on a distinguished road

Most important then is if I set up the Parallels to use my Bootcamp as the VM, then if I run the VM and make changes to anything (documents, updates, desktop, whatever...)

Then on a reboot, if I boot into the WinXP partition, will those changes exist?

More simply put, the VM and the Partition are one in the same?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
More simply put, the VM and the Partition are one in the same?
Let's define it better: The installation of XP will be the same. The virtual software (Parallels) will use the already existing BC partition and treat it as it would if it were created in the VM. As I stated above, you need to do some reading in the Parallels help and instructions.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spinning Ball | Renaming home account »