New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hunter49

Hunter49 is on a distinguished road

Hi -

Thinking seriously of switching from PC to Mac. PC user for many, many years and there are a few business programs for which a Mac replacement is not available.

I own Acronis True Image 2009 and I'm able to make an image of my PC on an external disk. With Parallels, is it possible to just create a VM and "paste" that image into it? Acronis makes a *.tib file - is this the same as an .iso file?

This would be so much easier than installing a copy of Windows and then migrating everything, especially since a lot of my software was downloaded and I don't have the install disks (including Acronis).

This will be a critical issue in my decision on whether or not to switch. Thinking of the IMac 27.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Zeptogram

Zeptogram is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD

Those two file types are not the same thing, but you can make a bootable .tib according to these folks. I'm not sure if this link will help at all though. I can't answer your question, but thought I'd drop off this piece of info.

Sorry, and hope someone here who has more experience with this software can help!

Zep
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No, it's not possible to paste an Acronis *.TIB file into Parallels or Fusion. A image created by Acronis TI is not the same as an ISO file. As a matter of fact, Acronis software will not work properly or at all in Parallels and Fusion. I couldn't even get it to work to make and restore an image from a Windows partition created using the Boot Camp assistant. The reason TI does not work properly is that Mac hardware does not use a BIOS. Mac machines use EFI.

If you intend to use Parallels as your VM software, you will have to install Windows within the VM.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am somewhat new to this but there is a technique which apparently uses vmware Fusion to import an existing PC installation into a virtual machine. VMware Fusion - Migrating Your Windows PC to Your Mac Easily This might be helpful for your task but I am not sure.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Hunter49

Hunter49 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I am somewhat new to this but there is a technique which apparently uses vmware Fusion to import an existing PC installation into a virtual machine. VMware Fusion - Migrating Your Windows PC to Your Mac Easily This might be helpful for your task but I am not sure.
This looks like it might do it. That is, as long as Microsoft doesn't give me a problem with activating it. Thanks much!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Your Welcome. Hope that helps. If you decode too try this let me know how it works. I was considering doing that with an installation that my wife has but it seems unnecessary since she only needs the data files not the entire installation.

I had some issues initially with serial numbers for Windows XP. It installed fine on the Boot Camp partition but when I used the Boot Camp partition in either Fusion or Parallels Windows would complain about needing to be reactivated. I wasn't running Windows a lot at the time so I just used Boot Camp. Now that I have to run Windows more often I am using the current versions of Parallels and Fusion and neither seems to complain.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gspot for mac | Macbook pro NOW or wait? »