New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Streaming Question.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zombiebear

zombiebear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 4 Gig memory, 250GB Hard drive

I was wondering if i can stream what is on my TV, to my macbook?
Is this possible, or should i just keep dreaming?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Can you be a bit more descriptive about what you want to stream? ie: is it over the air? is it cable? is it satellite? is it HD or SD? is it copy protected HD material? etc.

There are devices that will allow you to view/record video signals on a Mac - like the Elgato EyeTV hardware or Hauppage (sp?) HDPVR (requires third party software to work), etc. that may be what you're looking for.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
zombiebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Can you be a bit more descriptive about what you want to stream? ie: is it over the air? is it cable? is it satellite? is it HD or SD? is it copy protected HD material? etc.

There are devices that will allow you to view/record video signals on a Mac - like the Elgato EyeTV hardware or Hauppage (sp?) HDPVR (requires third party software to work), etc. that may be what you're looking for.
Wow, well i didn't know there were different things, i thought maybe a one fits all

But i just bought a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter and a DVI-D to HDMI cable, so i can use my TV as a monitor.
But i just wanted to know if i could buy something that could possibly reverse that.
Say i wanted to stream my video game, or my movies, is this possible?

Not to worried about streaming a TV signal, more like movies, ect.

Thanks.

Any other info you need, i'd be glad to throw it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you could get a device that would allow you to get the video into your Mac, but I wouldn't want to use it for video games honestly - there would be a lag time on the conversion between what the hardware would receive to what you would see on the screen which would kill playing games. In terms of movies, if they're on DVD, might as well play it directly on the Mac with it's own DVD player software or are referring to movie delivery in a different method?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
zombiebear

Quote:
Well, you could get a device that would allow you to get the video into your Mac, but I wouldn't want to use it for video games honestly - there would be a lag time on the conversion between what the hardware would receive to what you would see on the screen which would kill playing games. In terms of movies, if they're on DVD, might as well play it directly on the Mac with it's own DVD player software or are referring to movie delivery in a different method?
Yeah i understand that. I was just gonna stream my SNES to it.
Well i understand the DVD part, but i have a lot of Blu-rays and stuff, so thats the only reason i asked.
I guess it's not really worth all the troubles. I just figured if it was an easy flip i would do it, but thank you for your time, i appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

It'd be nice - but also the bluray would not come out HD - most movies on bluray playback requires HDCP all the way through (from source to final display) to maintain HD, and so even if you did play it back, it'd end up as SD video at best.

It's actually a fairly common question around here - a lot of people want to be able to use their Macbook or iMac screen as a "monitor" for other video sources - it's really just not designed for that style of use

QUOTE Thanks
zombiebear

Quote:
It'd be nice - but also the bluray would not come out HD - most movies on bluray playback requires HDCP all the way through (from source to final display) to maintain HD, and so even if you did play it back, it'd end up as SD video at best.

It's actually a fairly common question around here - a lot of people want to be able to use their Macbook or iMac screen as a "monitor" for other video sources - it's really just not designed for that style of use
Yeah i understand that.
The quality wouldn't worry me as much, i just can't play a bluray in my laptop

Yeah, it would be sweet, cause i just wanted to play some snes on stickam for my friends, cause i always get so ******, and they think its funny :]

But again thank you so very much :]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro printer issue | Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard (question for reference) »