New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

imac on ebay question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I can't find the awesome "what to watch out about Macs and ebay" guide that was written up and posted here so I'll ask this here. It's kind of a newbie question so here I go.

I saw a nice imac for a nice price on ebay. G5. So I asked is there any system discs to come with the mac when sold and the answer to me for that question was:

"Sorry No discs."

So knowing that should I just not bid on the imac even though it's a really good price? I know Macs sold with no discs are really bad news. But I could erase/degauss the HD and start again. I do have an official copy of 10.5. And can use the Disk utility on that to repair the HD if needed.

Or is just best to forget the good deal and say nah, as no discs is just a scam artist for a seller and try to find one with the discs?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

G5: dead technology. Not that they're not nice machines -- they are -- but there's no future for them and you're talking about a five year old machine now. I would assume the "nice price" you're talking about is in the $200 range?

Your Leopard disc won't have all the software that Mac came with, so yes he is scamming you out of at least $79 worth what you are paying for (iLife).

But yes, any used Mac should have its drive zeroed out before use. I wouldn't call someone selling the machine with no discs a "scam artist," but it's just not worth the extra hassle IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The mac would not be for me, but for a family relative. The person has used a COlour Classic and now a Power Mac (OS 9) for their needs and that has done everything they need. I'm only thinking about this because their Power Mac is slowly dying. So for what they use it for a G5 would be just fine.

And by nice price, if I bid I'll get it for around $100 Australian. Currently it is on a bid less then that. I will not bid over $150 for it.

Thanks for the information. I'll really consider it. I only have ilife from my imac system discs. Yep the old version. So the new Mac will not have ilife. Not that the person will ever use it but still it's a good point you made.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

The other thing to keep in mind when buying a used computer is that some sellers will try to sell you extra software without the discs. This usually means that the software is illegal and they are ripping you off by charging you more on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
The person has used a COlour Classic and now a Power Mac (OS 9) for their needs and that has done everything they need.
It would be like a rocket for them. All this stuff comes down to what your going to do with it. My Mom still uses a Blue iMac...all she does is word processing and reports. It works so why be be on the techno edge. Sometimes I post here with an 8600(G3). That Color Classic is a Hot little number...theres a CC collectors club.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Apple iMac G5 1.8Ghz 17" LCD 160Gb 1GB WiFi BT DVD/CDRW - eBay, Apple Desktops, Computers. (end time 08-Apr-10 19:57:55 AEST)

That is the imac that was the discussion of this topic. I just listed it and want to say it ended up going for $223.50 . And at that price I'm not bidding on it and I didn't. A G5 is simply not worth that much coin. I'll keep hunting around for a Mac that I can get for a price that is not over priced.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

I see alot of Macs being sold without the discs.
Where do these discs go?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

In some cases users either loose them or toss them. My thoughts anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I manage more than one bookmark at a time? | macbook pro printer issue »