New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can I tab through options in a dialogue box?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

Is there a way to tab from one option to the next while a dialogue box is open? I noticed that sometimes the button that Mac predicts you want to press is blue and the rest are a grayish-white color. If I don't want to select the button that is blue, is there a way for me to tab over to other buttons in the dialogue box without having to use a mouse or TrackPad? I tried just pressing the Tab button, but that doesn't work.

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I guess it depends on what dialog box you're in. I just tried that in a Save box for Word. Tab moves the selected button. Try other keys: arrows, cmd-tab, cmd-arrow, option-tab, option-arrow, ctrl-tab, ctrl-arrow, etc.?
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

I've tried a combination of all of these. I just opened Word for Mac, typed something on the screen and then tried to close the program. It gave me the options to Save, Don't Save, or Cancel, and every combination of buttons you suggested did not get it to change the defaulted menu option.

I'm not sure how you're able to do it. I am so jealous! How are you able to do this and not me?

QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Maybe certain dialogue boxes (such as a Word Save box) only? Wish I could give you further guidance; I've actually wanted to figure this out myself for a while too.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

YES! It's one of those simple "check boxes" in some preferences somewhere but for the life of me I can't recall where it is. The sad part is, I just read the answer to this a day or two ago on these very forums... SOMEWHERE! It's driving me crazy....
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

OMG!! YAY!!!!!!!! I searched through the Keyboard section of System Preferences and it had the option right there under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Where it says "Full Keyboard Access: In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move keyboard focus between:" I just changed it from "Text boxes and lists only" to "All controls."

Only thing is that when you tab over to the other options, pressing Enter or Return doesn't activate the button. You have to press the space bar in order for you to get the button you tabbed over to working.

Thanks for giving me that hint! You rock!!!

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 View Post
OMG!! YAY!!!!!!!! I searched through the Keyboard section of System Preferences and it had the option right there under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Where it says "Full Keyboard Access: In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move keyboard focus between:" I just changed it from "Text boxes and lists only" to "All controls."

Only thing is that when you tab over to the other options, pressing Enter or Return doesn't activate the button. You have to press the space bar in order for you to get the button you tabbed over to working.

Thanks for giving me that hint! You rock!!!
Another way to select non-highlighted dialog box options, would be ctrl+ the first letter of the option you wish to select. IE let's say you have a dialog box which has the options of "Save" (highlighted) "Quit" and cancel, like in the attached screenshot - If you want to select "Quit", then the key combo would be ctrl+Q; "Cancel" would be either the esc key, or ctrl+C.

Hope this info helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-04-04 at 16.31.48.png (20.5 KB, 9 views)

Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

Yes, very! After trying it out myself, I realized that Ctrl was not working for me, however Command was. Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to remove printer | Need a response sorta quick: Really okay to run PC pgrms. on iMac? »