New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

PDF Files won't print

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

When I try to print from a PDF file I get the following error.

Error: pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13

To print from a PDF file I have been opening the PDF file with Preview and printing from there.

Is there any way to print directly from Adobe?

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Have been printing pdfs from Preview in Tiger Leopard and Snow Leopard with no problems, so would guess you have a broken linkage or corruption of some sort. Have you tried doing some housework with Onyx and what is this 'psto pdf filter'? pstopdffilter/ where did that come from? Or if you downloaded the pdf in Safari, then try Safari > Reset Safari
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Preview in Snow Lepoard prints OK. I am downloading PDF files by using Firefox.

The error code is showing up in the printer control panel, the panel is available by clicking on the printer icon on the dock. The printer is an HP 7200.

I would like to be able to print from the Adobe Reader by using File>Print as the Preview does not print the exact same thing as the Adobe PDF shows.

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

So, just to be sure I understand you, printing in Adobe Reader fails with a program-related error message, but printing in Preview is fine?

If that's correct, then the problem cannot be with the printer and must be with Adobe Reader. Check to see if you're up to date; if you are, check the Adobe Reader preferences with special attention to anything having to do with printing; if that doesn't solve the problem I'd suggest uninstalling Adobe Reader thoroughly, then re-downloading it and installing again.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Adobe Forums: Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Doesn't Print on Mac...
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

deus_ex_machina,

Thanks you for the link to the Adobe forum. I now understand that this problem is probably an Adobe, or possibly an HP problem.

The suggested work around to 'print as image' from the 'advanced' button on the print control panel works on my setup. While this is not ideal, at least it will work until Adobe/HP fixes the problem.

Larry H

PS Last night I updated to OS X 10.6.3 but that did not fix this Adobe printing problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Lynne

Lynne is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. On the internet, I found an article at the following URL: TidBITS Problem Solving: OpenType PostScript Fonts Troublesome in 10.6.7. It states that this is a problem in Mac OSX 10.6.7 concerning OpenType PostScript fonts. They suggest not using open type postscript fonts but, if you have to, "the only solution appears to be to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from DVD, and then apply the Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update Combo to return to the most recent release of Snow Leopard before this problem appeared." There are a lot of comments after the article.

Oddly, I did not have this problem previously and then it just appeared when I tried to print a pdf file from an e-mail today. After doing much searching & reading, and joining this forum, I checked the OSX version I'm using, which turns out to be 10.6. 8. Then I checked for updates (although I get them automatically), and found that no further updates were available. Then I tried printing the pdf again and it worked. I have no idea why.
QUOTE Thanks
reneebenee2001

reneebenee2001 is on a distinguished road

i have a macbook pro and when I try to download my file( T4 slip from website) so that it will open in pdf foormat, it always changes to serviet tex format. I am at a loss to how I can get it to show in pdf. thanks for any help. I used to be able to download using safari, but now I can't.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Change the extension to .pdf... works on several websites I have to download .pdfs from.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
souloartist

souloartist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Preview in Snow Lepoard prints OK. I am downloading PDF files by using Firefox.

The error code is showing up in the printer control panel, the panel is available by clicking on the printer icon on the dock. The printer is an HP 7200.

I would like to be able to print from the Adobe Reader by using File>Print as the Preview does not print the exact same thing as the Adobe PDF shows.

Larry H
What worked for me was "saving as pdf file" to my desktop or documents folder. Opened up in adobe reader selected "print option" and then "advanced" tab. Finally selecting at bottom "print as Image". This printed everything on my page

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloads into dock | Import/export email contacts from Yahoo account??? »