New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macuserwanabe

macuserwanabe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06Ghz intel dual core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive with 500GB backup drive

Hey everyone.....

Was just wondering if you are able to have mail work the same as outlook express?

I had outlook have it that when opened, it would start in my mail acount, then click on file>switch identity>then wife's email address.....

Can I do that in mail as well? if so how? I don't want them being accessed at the same time as she gets a lot of junk stuff that i don't want to wait for when i want to check out my email. I haven't set her up on the mac yet as i wanted to find out about this first.

If mail can't do this, is there another program that is sweet to use for mac that will do that? the email is from my internet provider and not a hotmail or those other mail accounts.

Thanks everyone.

Live Life To The Fullest. Love The Life You Have. Stop Wishing For Things You Don't Have, Start Being Thankful For The Things You Do Have.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You could put both your and your wife's email accounts into Mail (it can handle multiple accounts), but really what you should do -- and trust me, this advice could save or strengthen your marriage -- is to give your wife her own user account on the computer.

That way, your email is your email and her email is her email and never the twain shall meet. She can use her own choice of email programs, as can you. She can do up her background wallpaper, dock and other programs any way she likes, and so can you, and they won't interfere with each other. Switching between accounts (if she needs to use it "just really quick") takes only seconds, and it keeps each person's stuff separate.

Trust me, this is a better way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

+1 for Chas_m's suggestion. Plus it will allow you two to keep your data separate. Including Music. This is a godsend if you and your wife have huge collections of files and/or music and/or videos that you want to keep separate.

I couldn't imagine my wife and I sharing a single account on a given computer; multiple accounts create a very nice bubble for each user to have their own stuff.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
macuserwanabe

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06Ghz intel dual core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive with 500GB backup drive

thanks for the reply's guys. is there a video floating around on how to make multiple accounts? if so i rough idea so i can search it out and do that.

Thanks again.

Live Life To The Fullest. Love The Life You Have. Stop Wishing For Things You Don't Have, Start Being Thankful For The Things You Do Have.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Its very easy, actually. All you have to do is go to system prefs/accounts and click the little plus at the bottom left. Here's a link which will take you through step by step:

Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Creating a new user account

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
macuserwanabe

thank you. I will set that up tonight when i get home from work. lol

thanks again everyone

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You could put both your and your wife's email accounts into Mail (it can handle multiple accounts), but really what you should do -- and trust me, this advice could save or strengthen your marriage -- is to give your wife her own user account on the computer.
Best advice EVER!

QUOTE Thanks
ron4mac

ron4mac will become famous soon enough

It might also be relevant to mention "Fast user switching". You can choose to go the standard route where you have to logout of one account and in to the other - or, you can set "Fast user switching" and zoom from one account to the other from a selection on the menubar. It does consume more system resources to use fast switching - but I think you've got plenty to spare with that iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

chas you almost me cry with that advice. Lol. You make me want to create a user account for my wife so that she can get rid of her dumb dell and come over but then again it is a doggie dog world and she can fiend for herself.

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Really worried since I went to this website | Back Arrow »