New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Videobox and alternative video viewers


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
zeppo

 
Member Since: Mar 14, 2010
Posts: 24
zeppo is on a distinguished road

zeppo is offline
previously have only used PCs

try to view a youtube video and also a .wmv file and can't (I'm picture Steve Jobs sitting down in a comfy chair during his imac unveiling and showing just how wonderfully simple and intuitive his machine is when he wants to do something simple like click on a you-tube video and watch it-- only he can't.)

ok, so we'll let it slide that this "just do it" "straight out of the box" machine *can't*, and turn to the apple web site:

Apple - Downloads - Internet Utilities - Videobox

which is where i went, and seeing as Videobox was a highlighted app at the time by the apple page, and seeing the reason for the highlight was it was promoting the licensed version as a free gift, I thought, ok, who can you trust if you cant trust the official apple page. So I downloaded it.

Problem is, as I got up an running and checked out videobox a little more, I came up with repeated references about how hard it is to clear videobox completely off your imac. Just drag and drop to the trash bin? Uh, I don't think so. Just run the uninstall utility on the videobox program? Nope. The player still pops up and tries to get you to register and reinstall.

Some googled references that concern me:

VideoBox Removal Instructions

Remove VideoBox (Removal Instructions) | 411 on Spyware

AntiSpyware - Remove VideoBox

VideoBox Detection and Removal

Remove VideoBox - Spyware / Adware Uninstall Instruction

etc etc etc


So why is it my intuitive mac can't intuitively know that it needs to do more to get rid of this stuff, rather than just try to get users to think its just so much simpler than a PC because all you do is drag and drop to a trashcan?


Ok, I'll deal with that. But now I'd like to know what program, perhaps even one given the apple stores stamp of approval like the one above, is best for viewing youtube that isn't going to be a pain to get rid of?

Please help me out here. I bought this imac for my mother for Christmas instead of a PC because I thought the added expense was to be worth it so that she had a "worry free" computer.
QUOTE Thanks
iZach

 
iZach's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 27, 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 126
iZach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch

iZach is offline
Try AppCleaner

To view a WMV file, use Flip4Mac: Apple - Downloads - Video - Flip4Mac Windows Media Components for QuickTime

But why did you download videobox exactly? Isn't it for downloading videos?

How do you like them Apples?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,817
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppo View Post
try to view a youtube video and also a .wmv file and can't (I'm picture Steve Jobs sitting down in a comfy chair during his imac unveiling and showing just how wonderfully simple and intuitive his machine is when he wants to do something simple like click on a you-tube video and watch it-- only he can't.)
Flash is included out of the box so in fact, viewing YouTube videos is easier. As for wmv, look into flip4mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppo View Post
So why is it my intuitive mac can't intuitively know that it needs to do more to get rid of this stuff, rather than just try to get users to think its just so much simpler than a PC because all you do is drag and drop to a trashcan?
Your machine can't be responsible for what you do. Yes, most of the time all you have to do is drag and drop in the Trash (some apps have uninstallers) but that is only if you don't download junk which it sure seems like you have. Don't bad mouth the machine for your choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppo View Post
Ok, I'll deal with that. But now I'd like to know what program, perhaps even one given the apple stores stamp of approval like the one above, is best for viewing youtube that isn't going to be a pain to get rid of?
Your web browser? If you have some apprehension about using a web browser for some reason, you can try Miro.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
zeppo

 
Member Since: Mar 14, 2010
Posts: 24
zeppo is on a distinguished road

zeppo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post

Your machine can't be responsible for what you do. Yes, most of the time all you have to do is drag and drop in the Trash (some apps have uninstallers) but that is only if you don't download junk which it sure seems like you have. Don't bad mouth the machine for your choices.
.
Again, this was an app *featured*, *highlighted*, at apple's own app store.

Apple - Search Results

but thanks, now that I know apples store promotes junk, I'll be careful. I'm not badmouthing the machine by the way, I'm badmouthing the software, to the extent that it is advertised to be sooooooo much better than a PC, *particularly* in situations like this. I do find it very amusing that I keep hearing arguments like you never have to worry about viruses with a mac, just as long as you don't download them, lol, and now likewise with software issues-- the mighty mac has none, just as long as you don't use the wrong application from the apple store. I mean its so silly. Someone should do a parody of it.

At any rate, I'm ready to give macs a bigtime shot and in addition to the imac, plan to buy a macbook, and a ipod touch and/or iphone (possibly and Ipad but I'll have to wait until I see comparisons once it gets into hands of real users.).

Anyway, not to stray off topic. But if videobox were giving me a problem uninstalling on a PC, the mac cultists everywhere would be pointing to it as to why PCs are so bad.

At any rate, I may still try some more apps from the apple app store. Is there a list somewhere of which are the bad ones that I should know not to download (I guess "intuitively??")

I appreciate that tip on the wmv viewer
QUOTE Thanks
zeppo

 
Member Since: Mar 14, 2010
Posts: 24
zeppo is on a distinguished road

zeppo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZach View Post
Try AppCleaner

To view a WMV file, use Flip4Mac: Apple - Downloads - Video - Flip4Mac Windows Media Components for QuickTime

But why did you download videobox exactly? Isn't it for downloading videos?
thanks for the flip4mac tip. You know, I can't even remember why I downloaded the videobox now, other than it was promoted as free to new mac buyers over the holidays on the apple page. I think I was trying to view or download something that wouldn't pull up-- I think a video that was sent via email from someone I know. That may have led me to the apple store promotion. I never did submit the license code they emailed me though, because I afterwards saw the warnings about how it doesn't fully uninstall and leaves files on the mac registry. I'm still kind of uncertain as to why the links I posted refer to it as a trojan or parasite. I can't figure out if there is a virus that goes by the same name or this app is indeed as nefarious as they say. But it sure is true that it doesn't uninstall completely.

I haven't had any issues with you-tube lately (I'm not on there all that much) so maybe one of the macupdates I've been prompted to get have help or maybe I just hit an odd file type at one point.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,619
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
First: there is no "Mac registry." You really do need to unlearn your Windows thinking. There are also no Mac viruses, thus you can't download any. If you downloaded a Windows virus, it wouldn't do anything.

Second: your entire post is based on a fundamental misunderstanding. You are confusing two completely different programs that have nothing to do with each other. Videobox on the Mac is a flash downloading program and works perfectly normally (and uninstalls perfectly normally). Videobox for the PC is spyware. The fact that they have the same name is pure coincidence; they are not developed by the same company.

I really don't see how you could have missed this rather glaringly obvious fact, since all the links YOU provided to the "warnings" about Videobox are *obviously* about the Windows program, which RIGHT IN THEIR OWN DESCRIPTION identifies the Windows "Videobox" as a video codec, NOT A PROGRAM, and certainly not a Flash downloader, which the Mac program rather obviously identifies itself as.

You don't *need* Videobox (the Mac program), it is merely one of dozens of "download videos from YouTube" type programs, but it's rather obviously NOT the same thing as the similarly-named Windows program.
QUOTE Thanks
zeppo

 
Member Since: Mar 14, 2010
Posts: 24
zeppo is on a distinguished road

zeppo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
First: there is no "Mac registry." You really do need to unlearn your Windows thinking. There are also no Mac viruses, thus you can't download any. If you downloaded a Windows virus, it wouldn't do anything.
I actually mentioned that to a mac salesman when I said that I was getting the imac for my mother because supposedly she could open the attachments friends and relatives occassionaly send her in emails without having to be savvy as to whether they will harm her computer or not, Or should I say, I sought reaffirmation from him about this, since that is the story I kept getting from mac users, yours being the most recent. His reply was in effect what I told you, that she wouldn't get one as long as she didn't download one-- as in the mac couldn't control what she downloaded-- which of course is funny, as I pointed out in my prior message. But I'm at least glad to get reaffirmation from you on that point. At least it makes me feel a little better any time I hear it.

[QUOTE=chas_m;1018732Second: your entire post is based on a fundamental misunderstanding. You are confusing two completely different programs that have nothing to do with each other. Videobox on the Mac is a flash downloading program and works perfectly normally (and uninstalls perfectly normally). Videobox for the PC is spyware. The fact that they have the same name is pure coincidence; they are not developed by the same company.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I included the links. I couldn't tell whether they were the same or not, and was hoping that someone that was familiar with the distinction, if there was one, could let me know about it. That was the point.

[QUOTE=chas_m;1018732I really don't see how you could have missed this rather glaringly obvious fact, since all the links YOU provided to the "warnings" about Videobox are *obviously* about the Windows program, which RIGHT IN THEIR OWN DESCRIPTION identifies the Windows "Videobox" as a video codec, NOT A PROGRAM, and certainly not a Flash downloader, which the Mac program rather obviously identifies itself as.

You don't *need* Videobox (the Mac program), it is merely one of dozens of "download videos from YouTube" type programs, but it's rather obviously NOT the same thing as the similarly-named Windows program.[/QUOTE]

Uh, don't forget now, your talking to a mac owner so I'm not supposed to have to know anything about technical aspects of programming etc. Its supposed to just work. How can you forget this mac mantra and start preaching to me about not knowing the difference in a Videobox "codec" and a Videobox "program" and how obvious it is that they don't work. You sure sound like a PC guy to me. Where's your sensitivity? Ha ha. Remember its the Bill Gates-type guy in the commercial that would use terms like "codecs". I'm just the cool artsy guy that doesn't have to worry about terminology like that because I use a Mac. :O

Anyway, if its true they aren't the same, I'm thrilled. Yours is the first reply that indicates they aren't, which is the information I sought in my post.

Now as far as not being able to uninstall, that remains true. It doesn't fully uninstall. I think aside from being free, the reason I must have thought it might be useful was to download You Tube video. But I suspect that was what caused me to have trouble even watching You Tube once it expired, but since I uninstalled it, I haven't had any troubles. It's not like I'm on the internet a whole lot though. Just when I visit my mothers. I haven't bothered with home internet in a number of years, but will probably get back on when I get my macbook. I used it for many years going back even before WWW launched. So as I'm certainly not fresh on technical stuff. I'm just your smart mac guy now-- smart because I've decided to use a mac because I know it means all that technical stuff is irrelevant now, right? So show a little respect. Ha ha.

As I get used to the mac though, I do wonder why the mac types that are paranoid about Microsoft taking over the world and being the evil big brother don't worry about the fact that it is seems much harder to me to know where files are going on the mac that with windows. I mean, where are these files on my computer that are still associated with Videobox after I did the "intuitive" move of the program to the trashbin, and used the uninstall feature?-- Yet it persists in asking if I want to buy it whenever I click on a wmv file attached to emails sent to me (and, No, I don't know what the **** wmv is because I'm now a mac guy and don't need to know because everything is just supposed to work so quit hounding me man-- ha ha!)

I suppose I could try and see if that license number I was given still works and just go ahead get it up and running so I quit getting the prompt. But you are *sure* this Videobox program doesn't have an evil side I'll regret? Can you promise me? I mean, you say its not the same-- you wouldn't steer me wrong now would you?
,
PS: UPDATE: thanks again to those pointing me to flip4mac, it worked like a charm and let my mother watch the wmv file sent to her-- which, by the way, you should do a search on the net for it- story on dog and elephant that are best friends
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Ejection Problem | Gas Mask »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?