Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Did I read correctly? My new iMac 21.5" uses 240 W. an hour? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/194403-did-i-read-correctly-my-new-imac-21-5-uses-240-w-hour.html)

Newbie2mac 03-11-2010 10:14 PM

Did I read correctly? My new iMac 21.5" uses 240 W. an hour?

Is that true? That seems like a lot, but never bothered to compare it to my 4.5 yr. old PC.

T_O_P12 03-11-2010 11:01 PM

Where did you read this?

DarkestRitual 03-11-2010 11:54 PM

Good stuff, Chas.

Newbie2mac 03-12-2010 04:21 PM

Well, maybe we're "splitting hairs" here? When I said my iMac will use 240 watts per hour, I was, of course, including the use of the monitor since I would seldom use the "computer" part without the screen being on. Isn't that true or am I missing something (which isn't hard to do). So, wasn't I "right" (you said I didn't read correctly - :[ ) when I said I read the amt. of wattage is 240 Watts? Or are you saying that it's rare to use it at its maximum. If that's the case, wonder what would the "average" usage amount to in wattage per hour? (230 watts? lol) Especially, since the iMac is an all-in-one and not with a separate tower, how often does one turn off the monitor but keep the computer on anyway? Just asking ...

pigoo3 03-12-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2mac (Post 1016294)
Is that true? That seems like a lot, but never bothered to compare it to my 4.5 yr. old PC.

Well if it makes you feel any better...if your iMac had a CRT display instead of an LCD...it would use a good bit more wattage.

If you want to do your part to "be green"...you could either turn the brightness down as low as it will go (but still viewable)...or turn your computer off!;)

Another option could be to sell your iMac & buy a laptop!:) I think that the low-end MacBook uses a 65 watt power adapter.

- Nick

the8thark 03-12-2010 07:46 PM

to chas_m:

Your post is not entirely correct. In a Apple display it has to have it's own power source to power up and use the display. So that's the 212W you talk about. But the imac does not need 2 power sources (screen and computer). It only needs the one to to power the screen and the computer workings behind the screen. So I'm sure the power usage of the screena nd the computer in the imac would fluxuate over time.

So my point here is a computer and seperate screen or the same computer and screen as an all in one have slightly sifferent power usages due to the fact the seperate ones need 2 power sources and extra parts for that where as the all in one needs only one power source for everything.

Just a really minor point. But otherwise what you says makes basic sense.

osxx 03-12-2010 08:22 PM

I am surprised Greenpeace is not up in arms over gaming computers with 1000 watt power supplies.

pigoo3 03-12-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1016859)
there's a device called a Kill-A-Watt that you can buy and use to measure this.

Yeah...I always wanted to get one of these (or a similar device)...for the very reasons mentioned. And not just for measuring a computers watts used...but other devices as well.

And as mentioned...a variety of factors go into the exact watts used for a device...making exact estimates difficult without a meter.

- Nick