New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Annoying desktop icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doolally

doolally is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac & MacBook

I've noticed recently that after a days work the desktop is littered with annoying white icons of the images and documents i have opened to work with.

have I set a Preference the wrong way? this farly recent behaviour

thanks folks

doolally
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Could you perhaps post a screenshot so we have a better idea of what you mean?

Are you opening these documents off a networked drive, or from your local drive? Does this happen to everything you open, or just certain kinds of files?

Also, a bit of background on which of your machines you refer to and what OS version its running would be helpful.

Also, and this is key to helping us find the answer: will you be watching Doctor Who this Easter weekend?!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I'm curious too about all of these files you've been working with. Are they the actual file names or something more like ._filename? Hopefully it's something simple like you've made hidden files visible or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Also, and this is key to helping us find the answer: will you be watching Doctor Who this Easter weekend?!
A bit off topic but - You bet I will be - although I'll have to admit, I really liked David Tennant as the Doctor so I'm not sure how I'll feel about the new guy yet...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

Now that worries me as I WON'T be watching the Doctor Fraid I never was a fan but just in case you decide to answer, I'm on Snow Leopard on an iMac. I wouldn't have the foggiest notion on how to provide a screenshot but these are small icons of a white page with the top right corner curled over. Some have "doc" on them and have the actual filename (shortened) under them. They all appear on the right of the desktop. Incidentally, I have Spaces enabled

does that help?

doolally
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

For a screen shot of the whole desktop, press:

Shift+CMD+3

To be able to highlight a specific area as a screenshot, press:

Shift+CMD+4

you'll end up with crosshairs that you can use to highlight a region (left click and hold where to start and drag out to mark the region), when you let go of the mouse button it will capture the screenshot

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To take a screenshot: shift-command-3.

Do you have any sort of "autosave" program enabled?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Um, don't you need to tell the OP how to post the screen shot?

I've never posted an image on a board (!), so I can't help.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Ah, yes. Left that important bit out.

Since that's kind of complicated (must upload the picture to a web space, then copy the URL to paste into the space provided by clicking on the "mountains" in the compose window on this forum), just skip it.

Another idea: do a "get info" on one of these white icons, and reprint the first few lines of that here. You can "get info" on an icon by selecting it (ie click ONCE not twice!), then press command-i or just choose File->Get Info from the menubar.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Actually, there is another way to get the photos to us if you don't have web hosting available - it's attachment within the forums. As long as the image isn't too big.

To do this, instead of a quick reply, click Go Advanced and in there, you should see a paperclip icon, click it and a new screen will pop up with the ability to upload files.

See the attached photos for the icon to look for and the window that will pop up when you click the icon...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-03-11 at 7.43.15 AM.png (3.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-03-11 at 7.43.51 AM.png (25.7 KB, 27 views)

QUOTE Thanks
doolally

OK, i had a look round and found some spare webspace so here's the link

Couldn't manage to get a thumbnail into the post

http://www.gurneystreet.co.uk/web_ga...screenshot.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
salmar

salmar is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram

bbbbbb

20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
Lake Geneva, Fl
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Actually, there is another way to get the photos to us if you don't have web hosting available - it's attachment within the forums. As long as the image isn't too big.

To do this, instead of a quick reply, click Go Advanced and in there, you should see a paperclip icon, click it and a new screen will pop up with the ability to upload files.
Actually, I see the paper clip icon in the toolbar after clicking the Post Reply button as well. I'll have a closer look at the "Go Advanced" window, but it seems to be the same. Thanks for pointing that out. Hope that's not what failed to work for doolally.
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

I am not sure if there is an easier way, but I drag the unwanted icons into the trash.

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

Yeh, so do I but why are they there in the first place
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Here are a few other questions:

Where are you opening the files from? Are you sure you're not saving the files? What program are you using to open/work on these files? Does said program have a setting in its preferences for a default location for saving (ie: is it set to save files to the desktop?)

There is either a setting misconfigured or some action you're performing without realizing it that is creating those files - the key now is to try to get as much info about exactly what you're doing and how you're doing it when one of those files appears.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPU Temp. and Fan Control | dashboard webpage clipping »