Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Annoying desktop icons
    I get these from downloads that I have
    then run as installs. Also from a memory stick or USB there are sometimes a few. I end up CMD + E to erase them off the desktop.

Jonah

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Probably saving them from the internet to "open" them and the default save location for whatever reason is set to the desktop.

Specs:
    15" MBP
    That's what my downloads folder looks like after I've opened a ton of files hosted on our company sharepoint site.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    As sharepoint is handled thru a web interface, I assume to select a document to "work on it" would cause it to be downloaded to your system (since you're not opening from a remote volume/disk) - you'd have to manage your downloads and desktop appropriately. If they are getting auto-saved to your desktop a few things I could think of happened - your web browser is for some reason now saving your downloaded files to your desktop (check under your preferences) or if they are being directly opened by (for example) Microsoft Office for Mac, it thinks the files need to be saved to the desktop (or downloads) - I don't use MSOffice for Mac so I'm not sure where its configuration is for how it handles saves.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    iMac & MacBook
    After a bit of experimentation, it looks like these icons are only appearing when Preview is opened AND only when I open an attachment from an email. When I shut down Preview, the icons remain visible on the desktop

doolally

Specs:
    iMac & MacBook
    Ooops sorry - wrong thread!

Specs:
    iMac & MacBook
    As you can see, I am going doolally not even knowing what thread I'm posting on now

doolally

Specs:
    Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    Yes, it is set by default to place icons of your work on your Desktop. You can change that. What I did to help was, under Documents, created one folder for each part of my life and work, and I force it to save stuff in the appropriate folder. And you know what is great? My Mac learns which sorts of programs save what sorts of documents where, and usually it gets it right! Amazing!
    It is not normal for a computer to constantly crash, freeze, and become infected by thousands of malicious programs. Microsoft has just convinced you that this is all normal.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by doolally View Post
    Ooops sorry - wrong thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by doolally View Post
    As you can see, I am going doolally not even knowing what thread I'm posting on now
    The jump to a new page sometimes confuses me too. Don't worry about it. Here's a tip for you: Use the Edit button for your post to add to it, correct something, etc. One caution is not to add something substantive when others have posted after you. And, sometimes it's rude to change something that someone else has quoted or commented on.

Thread Information