New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Annoying desktop icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonah82

Jonah82 is on a distinguished road

I get these from downloads that I have
then run as installs. Also from a memory stick or USB there are sometimes a few. I end up CMD + E to erase them off the desktop.

Jonah
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Probably saving them from the internet to "open" them and the default save location for whatever reason is set to the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

That's what my downloads folder looks like after I've opened a ton of files hosted on our company sharepoint site.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

As sharepoint is handled thru a web interface, I assume to select a document to "work on it" would cause it to be downloaded to your system (since you're not opening from a remote volume/disk) - you'd have to manage your downloads and desktop appropriately. If they are getting auto-saved to your desktop a few things I could think of happened - your web browser is for some reason now saving your downloaded files to your desktop (check under your preferences) or if they are being directly opened by (for example) Microsoft Office for Mac, it thinks the files need to be saved to the desktop (or downloads) - I don't use MSOffice for Mac so I'm not sure where its configuration is for how it handles saves.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

doolally is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac & MacBook

After a bit of experimentation, it looks like these icons are only appearing when Preview is opened AND only when I open an attachment from an email. When I shut down Preview, the icons remain visible on the desktop

doolally
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

Ooops sorry - wrong thread!
QUOTE Thanks
doolally

As you can see, I am going doolally not even knowing what thread I'm posting on now

doolally
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Yes, it is set by default to place icons of your work on your Desktop. You can change that. What I did to help was, under Documents, created one folder for each part of my life and work, and I force it to save stuff in the appropriate folder. And you know what is great? My Mac learns which sorts of programs save what sorts of documents where, and usually it gets it right! Amazing!

It is not normal for a computer to constantly crash, freeze, and become infected by thousands of malicious programs. Microsoft has just convinced you that this is all normal.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolally View Post
Ooops sorry - wrong thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolally View Post
As you can see, I am going doolally not even knowing what thread I'm posting on now
The jump to a new page sometimes confuses me too. Don't worry about it. Here's a tip for you: Use the Edit button for your post to add to it, correct something, etc. One caution is not to add something substantive when others have posted after you. And, sometimes it's rude to change something that someone else has quoted or commented on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPU Temp. and Fan Control | dashboard webpage clipping »