New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Napster: I will miss you

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattberry

I don't know if you guys know, but on Napster you can stream all of their songs for only $10 a month. I am connected to the internet 99% of the time so it is great. So I have some thoughts. Napster is PC only. Is there anything like that for Mac that allows streaming legally? I also do have a copy of Virtual PC that I have never used. Maybe I could use it for this? anyone tried this? thanks,

MattBerry
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Virtual PC will probably be your only real option as far as Napster is concerned.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Stephen G

Stephen G is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel, I am switching to mac soon and unfortunately am prepaid for napster up until about February, haha. At least I will be keeping my Thinkpad around, so I guess it will be on stereo duty.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

napster is not where its at.

internet radio if u want streaming bad enough.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
napster is not where its at.

internet radio if u want streaming bad enough.
Exactly...iTunes Radio is where its at. And its free to boot. I personally never understood why anyone would pay to just stream music anyway, but to each his own :headphone

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mattberry

with internet radio you do not get to choose what music you listen to. I don't care about it needing to be streaming. I just want access to a huge legal database of music for cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

iTunes, u own the songs u buy
QUOTE Thanks
mattberry

I do understand the complex business model of iTunes. But for me buying 10 songs a month or listening to 100,000 the same way I would do with those 10. I might as well have the 100,000. If you want to burn edit what ever iTunes is better.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

but waht happens when u stoop paying napster??? u lose all the songs me having to pay napster each month turns me off right there
QUOTE Thanks
mblphnlvr

mblphnlvr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd

If you have a XM Radio, you can log on to xmonline.com and listen for free. I do this and I love it. I think that you can pay less and get just an online subscription though.
QUOTE Thanks
untoastytoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2
but waht happens when u stoop paying napster??? u lose all the songs me having to pay napster each month turns me off right there
The point of napster is for people to be able to listen to music that they would not ordinarily be interested in, so if they do end up liking it, they can just buy the cd. For example, say you heard an artist on the radio that you liked, you could download their cd from napster, and if you don't like it, you can just delete it, but if you do like it then you can buy the cd.
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

Quote:
Originally Posted by untoastytoast
The point of napster is for people to be able to listen to music that they would not ordinarily be interested in, so if they do end up liking it, they can just buy the cd. For example, say you heard an artist on the radio that you liked, you could download their cd from napster, and if you don't like it, you can just delete it, but if you do like it then you can buy the cd.
I find radio a much better method for finding new music, it works because they play a lot of songs you've never heard but play some you like as well to keep you interested. Without radio, my music library probably wouldn't even be 1/4 of the size it is now, recently its helped me find a lot of decent new bands such as Bloc Party, Kasabian, Maximo Park and bands like Vex Red and frankly, I wouldn't want to listen to any of them based on their name so I doubt I would have found them on Napster.

Plus, iTunes is cheapers than CD's which is great for people like me because I don't own a CD player that works anymore, all of my CD's (almost) are now on my hard drive and iPod, all of my CD's are sitting in a box under my bed.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

Quote:
Originally Posted by untoastytoast
so u pay naspter 10 then if u like a song u go spend money on the cd, or listen to music on the radio,and if u like it buy the cd, listen to the radio is cheaper
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

each has its advantages. don't forget, napster is also like itunes, u can buy music there too for 99 cents or 79 pence.

napster, however, has and extra option to stream selected music and that is useful for many ppl. i can see itunes heading the napster way coz napster offers both services (dwld & stream.
QUOTE Thanks
zap2

for me i'll always buy my songs,but i would like to see a ''pay a mothly fee songs from iTunes'' an also keep the buying songs
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bill Gates Made Me Switch | Printing with Airport Express »