New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

'Spaces' Not on my Dock...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

How can I put Spaces back on my Dock? After I reformatted a few weeks ago for some reason I can't figure it out. I used to be able to click on the Dock icon see my four spaces and move windows from one to the other.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Look in /Applications/Utilities.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Go to your apps folder and drag it back to the dock. Then your good to go.

Hope it helps
Clay

oops Van beat me to it

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Got it...
The heck is it doing in Utilities?
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

you can also hit it with F8, which is much easier (IMO). Also can add more spaces and stuff in the system prefs pane, which is actually really handy if you like to keep certain apps in certain spaces, like I do.

In the pref pane, just hit the plus sign to add an app, assign it a space to open in, and voila.

You can also set your adium contacts list to show in all spaces. That's what I've got. I've got a nice small trim contacts list down the lefthand side of every space, and then i fill the rest of the available screen real estate with whatever the main app is that I will be using in each space.

Space 1 is my web browser, adium chat windows, and random stuff that I open without an assigned space place. Space 2, Photoshop or WoW space (which I play in windowed mode, yet still fullscreen, so I can get growl alerts, like adium messages). Space 3, Mail/iCal. Space 4, iTunes, Last.fm. Space 5 word processors, and space 6 GarageBand.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
Got it...
The heck is it doing in Utilities?
It's a part of the system... a multiple desktop implementation.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
It's a part of the system... a multiple desktop implementation.
That actually makes sense. Who woulda thunk it?

Too much Equity accounting material rolling around in my head right now. Test tomorrow. Now that doesn't make sense.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

Yea, that's brutal! I dunno if you've checked out that other spaces stuff I mentioned, but give a setup like that a shot for a couple of days. You can then switch between the spaces with control 1-6 (or however many) or whatever other way you set it to. It's made my 13 inch MacBook so much sweeter.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Yea, that's brutal! I dunno if you've checked out that other spaces stuff I mentioned, but give a setup like that a shot for a couple of days. You can then switch between the spaces with control 1-6 (or however many) or whatever other way you set it to. It's made my 13 inch MacBook so much sweeter.
I used multiple desktops when I ran Linux circa 2007 (Mandriva, RH, Suse).
I still consider myself a "switcher" since my Windows habits are not leaving my head very easily.
I always loved unix-like OSes since my undergrad computer science days.
I just updated gzip and bzip2 via macports - w00t!
Remember the "pack" command? I'll check out your setup, for now - I'm popping an Adderall and getting back to Chapter 3: Consolidations - Subsequent to the Date of Acquisition.
Maybe two Adderalls.... Better figure out what the max allowable daily dosage is.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

Haha, oh college and abusing crappy stimulants. Also totally forgot you're a *nix head. Props.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

Quote:
Haha, oh college and abusing crappy stimulants. Also totally forgot you're a *nix head. Props.
Yeah... I have a BS in COmputer Science - 2000, MBA - 2007 and hopefully a Masters in Accounting.
However things aren't going very well in the Accounting department.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This is Strange! | cleaning anti glare screen »