Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   'Spaces' Not on my Dock...? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/194105-spaces-not-my-dock.html)

TechieJustin 03-09-2010 05:37 PM

'Spaces' Not on my Dock...?

How can I put Spaces back on my Dock? After I reformatted a few weeks ago for some reason I can't figure it out. I used to be able to click on the Dock icon see my four spaces and move windows from one to the other.

vansmith 03-09-2010 05:39 PM

Look in /Applications/Utilities. ;)

clayneal 03-09-2010 05:40 PM

Go to your apps folder and drag it back to the dock. Then your good to go.

Hope it helps
Clay

oops Van beat me to it

TechieJustin 03-09-2010 06:13 PM

Got it...
The heck is it doing in Utilities?

DarkestRitual 03-09-2010 06:19 PM

you can also hit it with F8, which is much easier (IMO). Also can add more spaces and stuff in the system prefs pane, which is actually really handy if you like to keep certain apps in certain spaces, like I do.

In the pref pane, just hit the plus sign to add an app, assign it a space to open in, and voila.

You can also set your adium contacts list to show in all spaces. That's what I've got. I've got a nice small trim contacts list down the lefthand side of every space, and then i fill the rest of the available screen real estate with whatever the main app is that I will be using in each space.

Space 1 is my web browser, adium chat windows, and random stuff that I open without an assigned space place. Space 2, Photoshop or WoW space (which I play in windowed mode, yet still fullscreen, so I can get growl alerts, like adium messages). Space 3, Mail/iCal. Space 4, iTunes, Last.fm. Space 5 word processors, and space 6 GarageBand.

DarkestRitual 03-09-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieJustin (Post 1014849)
Got it...
The heck is it doing in Utilities?

It's a part of the system... a multiple desktop implementation.

TechieJustin 03-09-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestRitual (Post 1014853)
It's a part of the system... a multiple desktop implementation.

That actually makes sense. Who woulda thunk it?

Too much Equity accounting material rolling around in my head right now. Test tomorrow. Now that doesn't make sense. :Confused:

DarkestRitual 03-09-2010 06:39 PM

Yea, that's brutal! I dunno if you've checked out that other spaces stuff I mentioned, but give a setup like that a shot for a couple of days. You can then switch between the spaces with control 1-6 (or however many) or whatever other way you set it to. It's made my 13 inch MacBook so much sweeter. :)

TechieJustin 03-09-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestRitual (Post 1014857)
Yea, that's brutal! I dunno if you've checked out that other spaces stuff I mentioned, but give a setup like that a shot for a couple of days. You can then switch between the spaces with control 1-6 (or however many) or whatever other way you set it to. It's made my 13 inch MacBook so much sweeter. :)

I used multiple desktops when I ran Linux circa 2007 (Mandriva, RH, Suse).
I still consider myself a "switcher" since my Windows habits are not leaving my head very easily.
I always loved unix-like OSes since my undergrad computer science days.
I just updated gzip and bzip2 via macports - w00t!
Remember the "pack" command? I'll check out your setup, for now - I'm popping an Adderall and getting back to Chapter 3: Consolidations - Subsequent to the Date of Acquisition. :Confused: :Angry: :Smirk:
Maybe two Adderalls.... Better figure out what the max allowable daily dosage is.

DarkestRitual 03-09-2010 09:53 PM

Haha, oh college and abusing crappy stimulants. :) Also totally forgot you're a *nix head. Props. :)

TechieJustin 03-09-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkestRitual (Post 1014976)
Haha, oh college and abusing crappy stimulants. :) Also totally forgot you're a *nix head. Props. :)

Yeah... I have a BS in COmputer Science - 2000, MBA - 2007 and hopefully a Masters in Accounting.
However things aren't going very well in the Accounting department.