New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Boot Camp probs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lordazack

lordazack is on a distinguished road

On to buisness! I have a friend who's been playing NWN, a windows game on their Mac by using Boot Camp. Now I personally don't know anything about Macs or Boot Camp, and doing online research to try and help didn't really get anywhere as I'm a noob when put on a Mac.

So I'm asking if there is anyone out there who utalizes Boot Camp?

The dilemma sounds to be that after the computer is first turned on, there is 2 sets of selection screens for if to boot up with Mac or Windows. The first screen "Windows" is selected, and then there is a 2nd screen that asked for Mac or Windows again; mac the default.

On this second screen, it's all DOS like form (Black background, no mouse, scroll to select with arrow keys, ect).

This second screen runs a 10second timer before running the selected option. It's defaulting to Mac. Arrow keys have STOPPED working to move down and select the Windows. This is new and without logic as to why.

If anyone out there used Boot Camp and would have ideas, suggestions, and real input, please advise.

Thank-you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like your friend is using a boot manager. Ask if he's using rEFIt and then post back. Normally, if a Boot Camp partition is active and Windows has been installed, there is only one screen that will show when the machine is booted. And that depends if he holds down the OPTION key after the POST chime sounds.

The two sets of screens with a countdown timer for boot sounds very much like he has installed a boot manager program. Which is the reason I asked above if he's using rEFIt.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
lordazack

Im not sure, will find out soon. Also, I'd like to add that bootcamp had be working perfectly fine with no problems for quite some time. Nothing new has been done to it. Only now, on that second screen, the Dos one, you cant move down to select anything other than the mac os.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Also ask your friend if he tried or perhaps installed Ubuntu Linux virtually within Windows. The DOS like countdown screen could be a GRUB bootloader screen or even the Windows XP boot loader screen. Be interesting to learn exactly what he's done.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
lordazack

Yes there is ubuntu. I had her look in the disk prefs thingie... And it does not even show windows anymore
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It's what I suspected. Installing Ubuntu caused GRUB (Linux boot loader) to overwrite the Windows boot sector. That's why she's seeing the GRUB countdown screen. As long as she can boot to OS X she can use her install DVD to boot the machine and get rid of Linux along with the Windows partition.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slammed iPod into car door | arirport/wireless question »