New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Maintenance?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Schubunny

Schubunny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo

Hello all. I am new so go easy on me. New here and a bit new to Macs.

I used Macs at college and I recently got my iMac on Black Friday. My question is, like with Windows every now and then you have to do a disk cleanup or defrag, is there anything like that that I need to do with my Mac to keep it working quickly?

Also is it a good idea to put it to sleep all the time or to shut down every few days? I was just putting it to sleep like the manual says but I find after a while it starts to get a bit slow and is much faster again after a restart.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Repair permissions every now & then (open Disk Utility).

As far as sleeping vs. shutdown. I usually like to restart the computer every couple weeks or so. Some folks go a couple months without trouble. Otherwise I just sleep the computer.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Schubunny

Wow what a fast reply, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Onyx is a great utility as well.

QUOTE Thanks
Schubunny

I did repair disk permissions and got a warning.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Something I should be concerned about?

Shall go d/l Onyx, thank you Cuhnool
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Nope, some item permissions won't be repaired. It is normal.
QUOTE Thanks
Schubunny

Thank you all, this is a fantastic resource I shall go orf and read through a bunch of threads now.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubunny View Post
My question is, like with Windows every now and then you have to do a disk cleanup or defrag, is there anything like that that I need to do with my Mac to keep it working quickly?
OSX does not require optimization, but there is software that will do it. I do it every once in awhile, using TechTool Pro. I don't think it hurts anything, but I'm not sure it helps much either. I use TTP for other things, so as long as I've got it, I use it to optimize as well.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I believe OS X defrags on the fly. As toMACsh said, there is third party software for those things, but are not absolutely necessary. I do have Onyx, but I hardly use it at all (once every couple months). Your iMac won't require much maintenance, so it's nothing to worry about.

And welcome to Mac-Forums btw!

QUOTE Thanks
Carl H

Carl H is on a distinguished road

As Mac OSX is based on Unix, the disk won't need de-fragging. I'm no expert on Macs (I've only had one for 2 weeks ) but I'd guess the filesystem is something like EXT3/4, HFS, XFS, etc.

Defragging is only really necessary (or possible) on systems like FAT and NTFS.

Must admit, I'm intrigued by the repairing of permissions though. I'll go Google that.
QUOTE Thanks
malbright

malbright is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I have a G5 from 2004 2005 I believe. I got it for free from work and am wondering if there is any way to delete the mac operating system and install a windows operating system?
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

The computer runs certain maintenance scripts every; day, week and month.
But Onyx is a great program to use; clears all types of Caches, rebuilds a bunch of stuff, etc.

Also, when deleting applications, use a program like AppCleaner or AppZapper. It searches the computer for associated files, so they can be removed as well.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbright View Post
Hey all,

I have a G5 from 2004 2005 I believe. I got it for free from work and am wondering if there is any way to delete the mac operating system and install a windows operating system?
No. You could install Linux however, but as you're clearly insane (you want to delete the Mac OS in favour of Windows?? If that's not the definition of madness I don't know what is!!), I'm not sure if that's an option for you.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbright View Post
Hey all,

I'll pretend I didn't see something along the lines of "install Windows over OSX."
Joking aside - you can't on the G5. G5 is a chip from IBM/Motorola and speaks a different language. It is called 'Power Architecture"
Power Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Intel chips speak a language called x86-64.
x86-64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows is compiled for x86-64 only. OSX up to Leopard (10.5.8) could run on PPC and Intel.
Mac OS X Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Snow Leopard has been the only MacOS that can run exclusively on Intel; which created a bit of a stink with some users.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, did I get all that right? Am I a mac-phile or what?
QUOTE Thanks
Schubunny

Just showing off *lol*

My precioussssssssssssss!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Used space doulbed after Time Machine | Slammed iPod into car door »