New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which email is best?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppleFan7

AppleFan7 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Well since my previous post disappointed me about getting around pop mail for free...I am debating on switching email clients. Because I really want to use the Mail app feature on the dock. So which email client would be better and why? I am thinking between Hotmail and Gmail, I hear many good things about Gmail. And I had a problem with hotmail in the past about people not receiving email from me and vice versa. If there are others better than these two please let me know! Also, do you like the Mac Mail app? No bugs I guess, and is it more useful than going directly to your email page?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I run my Hotmail (.live) through the Mac Mail and dont have a problem what so ever. Mind you all i use it for is to receive and send mail, but my peoples always seem to get them and have had no complaints.
Dont know about Gmail as i want to stay away from gooooogle
But yea my .live mail works well and easy to set up.

And here is some help from  support to set it up

Configuring Mac Mail for pop3

Chers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I have:

Gmail
Hotmail
Yahoo
Me.com (mobile me)
and my own personal websites email.

Gmail: My favorite, plus i use alot of other google applications (ex: Reader, wave, voice, search engine, homepage) which require a login anyway.

Yahoo: This is my crappy/spam email. When I'm signing up for something i dont care much about and i know they will send me news letters and spam, i use my yahoo email account. I only check this email account about once a week, and i simple use the webmail.

Hotmail: The only reason i have that is because of MSN/Live messenger, which i rarely use.

Me.com (mobile me): Love the Mobile Me service, but dont use the email account much. Maybe that will change, idk.

I only have 3 setup in mail.app; Gmail, me.com and my personal website mail. Gmail is SUPER easy to setup in mail.app, and it now defaults to iMap which is nice. iMap is a bit different then pop3, it actually communicates with the mail service and updates each source when ever there is a change made. So if you read the message on your mac, it will show as read when you login to gmail.com and vice-versa.

So hands down, i say Gmail

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTuning View Post
iMap is a bit different then pop3, it actually communicates with the mail service and updates each source when ever there is a change made. So if you read the message on your mac, it will show as read when you login to gmail.com and vice-versa.

So hands down, i say Gmail
Thats what i dont like about hotmail ....... Good to know though ...
Thanks for the info

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

Yup Yup, no problem.

I have my one Gmail email account setup on 2x Mac's + my iPhone. And when ever I read, write or send an email. It updates the 2 other devices. It's great.

QUOTE Thanks
AppleFan7

Hmm...decisions decisions haha I just hate switching email ugh...I think I am leaning more towards Gmail though. So will it be hard to switch from yahoo to gmail? Like are there any significant differences between the two?
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

Go create a new gmail account. It's free. If you dont like it, don't use it. But i see no reason why you wont like it.

Here is a picture i found online of what gmail looks like. It's basic and easy to use. You can change the themes if you like. It also has tasks and calendar built in. And if you have an iPhone, those sync up with your phone when you setup your gmail account.

QUOTE Thanks
AppleFan7

I made an account haha and I do have an iPhone...I guess we will see how it goes!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

GMail's not bad (if you don't mind them reading your mail). For free, this is probably the best way to go.

I prefer MobileMe, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money JUST for email. You really have to take advantage of the other features to make it worth it, but I love IMAP so it would have to be MM or GMail for me.
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteTiger

WhiteTiger is on a distinguished road

I had your same issue a couple weeks ago. I had a yahoo account, but in order to use it in mac mail I had to pay $20 or something, which I didn't want to do. I switched to gmail, and hardly ever get on gmail online but manage it through the mac mail. I think it works great and like it better than the yahoo mail I did use, although I do still check that account because its where all my college letters come though (I'm a junior in HS and getting mail from colleges like crazy, but I am sure am happy it doesn't go to my new account, it's soo annoying).
The few times I have gotten on gmail from the web, it IS different than yahoo, and it confused me at first, but I think I like it a bit better, mostly because they handle email conversations like actual conversations, and you see both sides for as long as they go back, which my yahoo didn't do very well.
The confusing part is you have to add all your contacts to your address book on the mac in order for them to work in mac mail; as far as I can tell it won't pull them from the web, just address book. So updating that was a bit annoying, but I've been using it for 3 weeks now steady (I'm a new mac transfer) and completely love it.
So, if I were you, I'd switch to gmail. Although if you just use it through mac mail, that won't change based on what server its through, so if you want to go for hotmail it may not matter.
I hope I helped? I feel like I may have just ranted...
Haha. Good luck. :]
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

I use Windows Live from my ISP. (I get more inbox space, have a larger space allotment for attachments, etc)

I also use Gmail as an alternative/web sign-ups.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

Gmail is probably your best bet in terms of both space and cost (free!).

And I completely second the recommendations here to set it up with Mail.app using IMAP. That way everything will be in sync everywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
BadApple

BadApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 32G iPad

GMX.com all the way even better then gmail
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

Gmail is in bed with the CIA - don't use them.
Pay the $8 for a lavabit.net account. The email is encrypted on the server.
QUOTE Thanks
kbOx

kbOx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air - 128 GB SSD, 2.13GHz intel duel core, 2GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
Gmail is in bed with the CIA - don't use them.
Pay the $8 for a lavabit.net account. The email is encrypted on the server.
lavabit are vampires and boogiemen - don't use them.

gmail is certainly the best free email. loads of features, loads of space, supported out the box by practically every client, intuitive.

Follow me on Twitter for iPhone news: @iph0ne
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Proxy Software | Safari Install »