Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 21.5" iMac

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 500GB 3.06 Intel
    New 21.5" iMac
    Hi there, I have recentley ordered a new 21.5" iMac and it is due to arrive at mine on the 16th March. I'm just wondering if there is anything I need to do before I start using my Mac for general use, like do I have to worry about things like anti-virus software etc? (might seem a bit of stupid question cause ive heard macs dont get viruses but dont know if thats true or not...)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated thanks

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Plug it in and follow the directions and the help menu really works on the Mac also support from the Apple site plus here. Just use a firewall and remember not to give
    your password to gain access unless its something you want thats trusted.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Actually, the software firewall is unneeded (which is why it ships as "off" by default). Your router already contains a hardware firewall which is more than sufficient.

And yes, it's true that there are NO VIRUSES for Macs. Thus, no anti-virus software is needed either.

There's nothing you need to do to "prepare" other than to unlearn all the fear and paranoia of the Windows world.

Maybe get "The Missing Manual for Mac OS X" otherwise fire it up and let the enjoyment begin!
    iMac 21.5 late 2009
    ...turning into an iMovie junky.

Thanks for asking the question I was wondering the same question.

I see someone meantion a router Do I need a router?

Specs:
    Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
    You don't necessarily need a router.

I would only suggest it if your high speed connection is in a separate room from your office, or if you'll be using multiple PCs.

If this is your only comp, though, and your connection is in your office or wherever, it would just be pointless. I'd turn your mac firewall on, however, if you aren't using a router.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    As for anti virus - there is a sticky thread about that. The consensus is that if you exchange alot of files with Windows users you should install some sort of anti virus software like clamxAV.
    It is true there are no viruses for OSX - but you can still send an infected file to a Windows user. Example: you get an infected Word docx - edit it in Office, NeoOffice, save it and send it on its way - the file is still infected and the next person may get a warning. The last person who had the file gets blamed - Mac or not.
    I don't have any AV installed because clamx for Snow Leopard is still in beta. And I'm too lazy right now.
    As for your Router like others already said if you have multiple machines on the same connection - get a router.
    I second the notion that the firewall is not needed. I don't even enable it on Windows machines.

Once you get setup...

Specs:
    27" iMac, 3.06Ghz, 4MB Ram, 1TB HDD
    Your going to love the new iMac dude. It's just plain awesome. Plug in the ONE cord and away you go!
    27" iMac - 3.06Ghz, 1TB HDD, 4GB Ram
    16GB iPhone 3GS

Specs:
    yeah thats one of the things that im really looking forward to is the fact that there is only one wire coming out the back, and that the screen has everything in it. Its going to make my desk space so much less cluttered :-D

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.C View Post
    yeah thats one of the things that im really looking forward to is the fact that there is only one wire coming out the back, and that the screen has everything in it. Its going to make my desk space so much less cluttered :-D
    Agreed. As long as the **** screen doesn't break... Apple didn't handle that issue very well.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    I also ordered a new 27" i7 iMac that should be arriving on Friday..this weekend will be quite fun setting it up and transferring all of my stuff from my Mac Mini..will be quite a boost in performance going from the 1.83 Ghz Mini to the i7 iMac..

Regards

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
    Agreed. As long as the **** screen doesn't break... Apple didn't handle that issue very well.
    Yeah I asked the dude in my local apple store about that, he said that it was more common with the new 27" iMacs, and wasnt as common with the 21.5" models, also compared to how many iMacs are sold a very low percentage are faulty.

Specs:
    21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
    I'm going to pick up a new 21.5" iMac about the first week of April, we are moving so I really don't want to have to set it up where I'm at now and have to take it down, but I am looking foward to getting it up and running, it will be my first Mac computer but from what I have seen in the store there isn't much sense in buying anything else out there in the computer world. Already threw away on PC last week (less the HD, took a hammer to it) and getting ready to dumpster my last one!

Now would be a good time to create DvD copy backups of your photos, music, and documents. This way, you can transfer them to your new iMac faster, and you will have a nice backup.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post
    Now would be a good time to create DvD copy backups of your photos, music, and documents. This way, you can transfer them to your new iMac faster, and you will have a nice backup.
    thats a good shout, got my whole itunes library to transfer over, dont suppose anyone know a faster way than copying it from my pc onto a mamory sitck then putting it on to my new mac?

Thread Information