New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrading hard drive in my Macbook problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RichmanA2

RichmanA2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 320 GB Hard drive

See Below-----
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I dont believe it would be considered "flaming" you to say that we do not condone pirating here so I am sure you will receive no help with this issue , but stick around because its a great place to find answers to all your legit questions.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...uidelines.html
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
RichmanA2

Thanks for the help Clay.

Let me re-phrase.

Ok I've searched all night for a solution to my problem, but nothing has come up. I just purchased my first (since about 1995) Macbook. Its a 13inch, black, 2.0ghz intel core duo, 80GB hard drive. Obviously 80GB is a joke so I ordered a 250GB 7200 RPM hard drive from Seagate. I just received it in the mail yesterday. I know how to install it (I am a noob at macs, but I know my way around computers), but I don't can't seem to get it working. I don't have an install disk for Leopard 10.5. I am trying to get a fresh install here. I already have Leopard 10.5 on my computer, and I went to the Apple store in Ann Arbor yesterday, they don't sell Leopard 10.5 anymore, and they wanted me to drop some Obama bailout coin ($169) to get the newest snow leopard box set) I read about cloning the hard drive, which would work, and I've downloaded carbon copy, but how do I get all the new info on my new hard drive? I've tried cloning to my iPod classic, which carbon copy informs me needs to be reformatted to HFS+ in disk utility. I open disk utility, try to partition my ipod, and I'm hit with disk utility internal error, disk utility has lost its connection with disk management tool and cannot continue. I quit and restart, same error everytime. I'm stuck, so if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or redirect me to a thread where this problem has been answered, that'd be great! -Rich
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Since you already have Leopard, you can purchase the upgrade of Snow Leopard which will likewise do a clean install. The upgrade is only $29.99. Don't let the Apple store salesperson try to sell you something you don't really need.

As for CCC, it only works with a drive formatted to HFS+. Best bet is to buy an inexpensive external USB 2 or FW400 drive, format it to HFS+ and use CCC to clone Leopard on to it. After removing the old drive and installing the new one, boot with the external and use CCC to clone the contents back to the internal drive.

However, I recommend you go with the upgrade of Snow Leopard instead.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
RichmanA2

ok so I figured out my problem. I still had my ipod tied to my windows computer, so I just reformatted it so OS X could read it, and it worked. I got the hard drive installed, and it works great. I will upgrade to snow as soon as i get time to go to the apple store again. Yeah the guy wanted me to buy the box set for some reason, not really sure why.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Glad you got it worked out.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dipping my toe with a g4 ibook | nanoBundle »