New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

suwee30

suwee30 is on a distinguished road

i need a 320GB external hard drive to back up my mac. any brands that are better than others?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Get a Seagate or a Western Digital and you will be good.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Any is good - Iomega, Seagae, etc....they are all the same, just get the cheapest one you can get that meets your specs. Don't spend a fortune.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Another vote for WD.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

We're a three mac household and have a Freecom, WD Studio 2 and Iomega between us. No problems to report from any.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I have Seagate externals. One is a 1T, partitioned into two 500G spaces. The only problem with it is that it goes to sleep after 60 seconds, which means that I have to wait for the spinning beach ball to go away when I want to open/save a file because somehow the entire directory structure has to be online and active before you can do that. It's an annoyance that is documented here. I've tried what was recommended but the drive still spins down after 60 seconds of inactivity. Other than that, it's a good unit.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What does anyone think about Vantec?
QUOTE Thanks
suwee30

suwee30 is on a distinguished road

thanks to all for the input...i have a 2 GB 667 MHz memory...how much do you think i will need for a backup? i've only used 148GB of my memory on this computer.
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

What? No votes for Hitachi? The brand Apple uses in their MBPs...
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Get a Seagate or a Western Digital and you will be good.

Cheers ... McBie
I concur.

It is not normal for a computer to constantly crash, freeze, and become infected by thousands of malicious programs. Microsoft has just convinced you that this is all normal.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

I go with Lacie from Apple have for years, no problems I have 3 externals (All Lacies)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNAP View Post
I go with Lacie from Apple have for years, no problems I have 3 externals (All Lacies)
Just to clarify this, Apple doesn't make LaCie drives. You mean you bought them from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Just to clarify this, Apple doesn't make LaCie drives. You mean you bought them from Apple.
Exactly
I have faith in them simply BECAUSE apple sells them
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suwee30 View Post
thanks to all for the input...i have a 2 GB 667 MHz memory...how much do you think i will need for a backup? i've only used 148GB of my memory on this computer.
You are confusing memory with Disk Space. The 2Gb 667 Mhz bears no relation to the size of hard disk you need, nor does the amount of disk space (not memory!) that you have left. Just how big is your existing disk - allow at least double that for your backup disk.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with failed app download | I can't Keep My Hands Off! »