New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Removed downloads folder from the dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vinyl conflict

vinyl conflict is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Ok as above really i accidentally removed the downloads folder from my dock - no biggie I went to my home directory and dragged the downloads folder back onto the dock (past the dotted line on the right)

i have a working downloads folder back on my dock - great. but it doesn't look the same as it did before. Before i deleted the original it was a pictured icon, the same as it looks in your home directory (the little house with and arrow on top of it) now it just looks like a blank folder.

How do i get it back like it was before?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Right-click it and select "View as Folder." Voilá!
QUOTE Thanks
vinyl conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Jamie View Post
Right-click it and select "View as Folder." Voilá!
Legend!

nice one - thank you
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Is it just me, or is the default view in the Dock "folder" when it ships or you reinstall, but if you replace a Stack, it becomes "stack"??? Why would Apple do that?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Is it just me, or is the default view in the Dock "folder" when it ships or you reinstall, but if you replace a Stack, it becomes "stack"??? Why would Apple do that?
No, the default view in the Dock is "Stack" not "Folder." Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.

I agree with you, however, that this could be confusing to newbies.
QUOTE Thanks
vinyl conflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
No, the default view in the Dock is "Stack" not "Folder." Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.

I agree with you, however, that this could be confusing to newbies.
it was for me
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Apple ships with a couple of folders already set to "Folder" view, yes, but that doesn't make it the default.
Well, ok. That's what I meant. Obviously, the default view for new Stacks is stack. Unless there's a way to change that.... ?? They should put that option in the Dock prefs pane.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini | Wireless Keyboard - is it ON or OFF? »