New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

righturn

righturn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)

I'm a recent switcher
I just inherited my wife's old G5 computer, my beloved PC laptop is now the kitchen computer. I already realize that g5 chip will not do all the things my pc did, like picasa etc and run PC programs like PC quicken, apple version sucks. Any way my needs are few, but do write some web pages etc. and not a gamer. And now trying to keep apple products in my home, so the price of the Mac mini, seems very good but only a 160 HD but that is ok I have many external HDs. Is there any reason or reasons I would not be happy with it????

TIA for advice
Or suggestions on how to use the g5 for my needs would be welcomed
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Personally, I think you would love it and it sounds perfect for you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by righturn View Post
I'm a recent switcher
I just inherited my wife's old G5 computer, my beloved PC laptop is now the kitchen computer. I already realize that g5 chip will not do all the things my pc did, like picasa etc and run PC programs like PC quicken, apple version sucks. Any way my needs are few, but do write some web pages etc. and not a gamer. And now trying to keep apple products in my home, so the price of the Mac mini, seems very good but only a 160 HD but that is ok I have many external HDs. Is there any reason or reasons I would not be happy with it????

TIA for advice
Or suggestions on how to use the g5 for my needs would be welcomed
Your profile says that you have a "new" Intel iMac. Depending on the specs of the Intel iMac you have...and the Mac Mini you're thinking of purchasing...if there is a big difference in processor speed you might see a difference.

You also didn't mention if your Intel iMac is a work or home computer...so is this Mac Mini going to be the first Mac in you home...or is it in addition to the Intel iMac?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Your profile says that you have a "new" Intel iMac. Depending on the specs of the Intel iMac you have...and the Mac Mini you're thinking of purchasing...if there is a big difference in processor speed you might see a difference.

You also didn't mention if your Intel iMac is a work or home computer...so is this Mac Mini going to be the first Mac in you home...or is it in addition to the Intel iMac?

- Nick
I was wondering the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
righturn

Sorry(old guy here), the Mac intel is actually my wife's computer, I will change profile to show both.
I just looked at the Apple web site for the mini and they have a newer version listed, I do not know when it came out but has several new processors and HD choices and lots of I/O ports. Could be a good buy for me trying to make this a true Apple house hold.

I did edit profile it to show the G5 imac was mine and Intel(new) was wife's
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Hi righturn,

I recently (like 3 weeks ago) purchased the 2.26GHz version of the Mini.

I use it for browsing, email, scanning documents, printing, viewing youtube vids, etc and I find it meets my needs perfectly.

I'd happily recommend the Mini to anyone.

Why don't you visit your local Apple store and take a Mini for a test drive, to see for yourself.

Mid 2011 i5 2.5 GHz iMac 21.5"
QUOTE Thanks
righturn

Thanks, I feel like the Mac mini would be a good choice for me, I see no real issues for it, but wife wants a mac book pro at $1000 and my issue with it is that it has no Hdmi port, well the mini doesn't either so we shall see.
Rottie
I/we have been to the Apple store and take classes etc, some of the employees know our names LOL and most of them are very good trainers and sales people. Unfortunately the Apple store is over an hour from where we live so it is a pain at times.
QUOTE Thanks
CarpathiaMan

CarpathiaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB HD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.9.x

I would also recommend the Mini. I bought one before Christmas, hooked it up to my 22" ViewSonic monitor that used to be on my Windows PC, and I use it for all of the typical basic computing tasks as well as iLife, website hosting, etc. I'm happy with it. Performance might not be mind-blowingly stellar, but it's definitely good enough. I went with the basic package and didn't upgrade the RAM or the processor. You might want to consider those options, but even if you don't, you might not even regret it and you'd end up saving a few bucks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving Hotmail messages to a Macbook (???) | Removed downloads folder from the dock »